• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weed in trunk of car of Miss...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grndslm

In Mississippi, if one has less than 30g in his trunk... what is the penalty? Is it different from being inside or outside the cab of a vehicle? The info I've found on NORML is confusing me.

Thanks.

Antigone*

In Mississippi, if one has less than 30g in his trunk... what is the penalty? Is it different from being inside or outside the cab of a vehicle? The info I've found on NORML is confusing me.

Thanks.
The penalty is death by firing squad!!! :)

grndslm

Soo... I'm guessing less than 30g in the trunk is just a misdemeanor, with no arrest, and/or reduced fine. Correct?

Thanks.
There is no difference, possession is possession no matter where in the vehicle the drugs are located (save a few extreme circumstances).

Possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana is punishable by a fine of $100 - $250 for the first offense, a misdemeanor.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
From the Mississippi statutes:

(3) In the case of thirty (30) grams or less of marihuana, such person may, upon conviction, be imprisoned for not more than three (3) years or fined not more than Three Thousand Dollars ($3,000.00), or both;

If you're in possession, you're in possession. Including the trunk. It's not like alcohol, which can be in the trunk, and therefore out of reach of the driver.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Well, it seems Peligroso and I are giving you different information.

Mine came from § 41-29-139(b)(3). I didn't read the whole thing, so I may have missed something. You can find it at

url = h ttp://michie.com/mississippi/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

Well, it seems Peligroso and I are giving you different information.

Mine came from § 41-29-139(b)(3). I didn't read the whole thing, so I may have missed something. You can find it at

url = h ttp://michie.com/mississippi/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=
If you read a little further you would have seen this:

(2) Marihuana in the following amounts shall be charged and sentenced as follows:

(A) Thirty (30) grams or less by a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00). The provisions of this paragraph shall be enforceable by summons, provided the offender provides proof of identity satisfactory to the arresting officer and gives written promise to appear in court satisfactory to the arresting officer, as directed by the summons. A second conviction under this section within two (2) years shall be punished by a fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) and not less than five (5) days nor more than sixty (60) days in the county jail and mandatory participation in a drug education program, approved by the Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse of the State Department of Mental Health, unless the court enters a written finding that such drug education program is inappropriate. A third or subsequent conviction under this section within two (2) years is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) and confinement for not less than five (5) days nor more than six (6) months in the county jail. Upon a first or second conviction under this section the courts shall forward a report of such conviction to the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics which shall make and maintain a private, nonpublic record for a period not to exceed two (2) years from the date of conviction. The private, nonpublic record shall be solely for the use of the courts in determining the penalties which attach upon conviction under this section and shall not constitute a criminal record for the purpose of private or administrative inquiry and the record of each conviction shall be expunged at the end of the period of two (2) years following the date of such conviction;

grndslm

Thanks for the link, guys.

The part I was asking about was if the weed is in the trunk of the vehicle.... that's part (B) right after Peli's quote:

(B) Additionally, a person who is the operator of a motor vehicle, who possesses on his person or knowingly keeps or allows to be kept in a motor vehicle within the area of the vehicle normally occupied by the driver or passengers, more than one (1) gram, but not more than thirty (30) grams, of marihuana is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction may be fined not more than One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) and confined for not more than ninety (90) days in the county jail. For the purposes of this subsection, such area of the vehicle shall not include the trunk of the motor vehicle or the areas not normally occupied by the driver or passengers if the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk. A utility or glove compartment shall be deemed to be within the area occupied by the driver and passengers;
I'm assuming that if it's 30g in the trunk, it's as if it weren't in the vehicle at all. That's how I'm reading it, and I don't see how anybody could read it differently.

Thanks, guys.

Z

zudnic

Thanks for the link, guys.

The part I was asking about was if the weed is in the trunk of the vehicle.... that's part (B) right after Peli's quote:

I'm assuming that if it's 30g in the trunk, it's as if it weren't in the vehicle at all. That's how I'm reading it, and I don't see how anybody could read it differently.

Thanks, guys.
I think those types of laws are more for those times you pick up a hooker and she dumps her drugs someplace inside the car. If stopped by Police. I wish the same rule applied when she leave's a condom wrapper in your car and the girlfriend finds it! Ooopps, think that was out loud. True story though! :D

Another true story. Had a girl leave her hand bag in my hotel room. Being the nice guy I' am looked inside to see if any id, nope dime bag and crack maybe ice pipe (I don't know about these sorts of things). I ended up dumping the bag in a dumpster. If found in my car alone, well good luck with prooving drugs and pipe not mine. Something inside says this girl was known to Police, so if stopped and searched. Saying had no clue and the drugs are hers. Would be more believable. I would take the wrap maybe for a friend or wife, but girlfriends and some girl I just met. No problem telling the truth! She put them in my car and I had no idea.. Found in trunk, well thats alot harder to pin on a hooker, I mean girlfriend.

Long way of saying don't think you can drive around with your stash in the trunk without not knowingly doing so! The law is to save you from that perfect spinner meth head Margie "girfriend" who if stopped will empty her drugs into your car! Or hooker who will do the same thing. 20 to 24 year old Meth heads are my favorite "relationships" so I'm up on these type of laws. :D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">