• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a Carin (spelling) test?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I tried to Google it, but I must not be spelling it correctly. What is this Carin test given when one gets a DUI? Thanks!

ERAUPIKE

Field Sobriety Tests
Field or Roadside Sobriety Tests are used to establish probable cause for administration of a preliminary breath test, or for a drunk driving arrest and administration of a formal breath or blood test.

The Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST) is a battery of three tests administered and evaluated in a standardized manner to obtain validated indicators of impairment and establish probable cause for arrest. The tests administered under this protocol are the horizontal gaze nystagmus test, the walk-and-turn test, and the one-leg stand.

Divided Attention Testing - Tests which require a suspect to listen to and follow instructions while performing simple physical movements. Such tests include the walk-and-turn test and one-leg stand test.

Commonly administered sobriety tests include:
Counting - The suspect is asked to count forwards or backwards, usually by ones or threes. Signs of impairment include (1) skipping letters, (2) loss of concentration, and (3) slurred speech. This is not a particularly accurate or reliable sobriety test.

Finger to Nose - The suspect stands, usually with the head tilted back and eyes closed, with arms stretched out to his sides. The suspect then attempts to touch the tip of his index finger to his nose, first with one arm and then the other. Signs of imparment include (1) beginning before instructions are completed, (2) swaying or staggering, (3) using arms to balance, (4) losing balance, and (5) inability to touch fingertip to nose. This test can be difficult to perform even when sober, without practice.

Reciting the Alphabet - The suspect is asked to recite the alphabet, sometimes backwards. Signs of impairment include (1) skipping letters, (2) loss of concentration, and (3) slurred speech. This test is not particularly accurate, and may not be appropriate for suspects for whom English is not the primary language.

Standing on One Leg - The suspect is instructed to stand on one leg, with the other foot suspended approximately six inches off the ground and count aloud by thousands ("One thousand-one", "one thousand-two", etc.) until instructed to put the foot down. The officer times the suspect for thirty seconds. The officer looks for indicators of impairment, including (1) swaying while balancing, (2) using arms to balance, (3) hopping to maintain balance, (4) not counting in order, and (5) putting the foot down.

Walking a Line - A suspect is asked to walk a straight line. This should occur on a flat, even surface, at a safe distance from traffic. The officer looks for signs of impairment including (1) beginning before instructions are completed, (2) swaying or staggering, (3) using arms to balance, and (4) stopping walking to regain balance.

Walk-and-Turn - A suspect is instructed to take nine steps along a straigt line, walking heel-to-toe. After taking the steps, the suspect must turn on one foot and return in the same manner in the opposite direction. The examiner looks for seven indicators of impairment: (1) if the suspect cannot keep balance while listening to the instructions, (2) begins before the instructions are finished, (3) stops while walking to regain balance, (4) does not touch heel-to-toe, (5) uses arms to balance, (6) loses balance while turning, or (7) takes an incorrect number of steps.

Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus - Horizontal gaze nystagmus is an involuntary jerking of the eyeball which occurs naturally as the eyes gaze to the side. This test theorizes that when a person is impaired by alcohol, nystagmus is exaggerated, and that alcohol-impaired person will have difficulty smoothly tracking a moving object. To administer this test, an officer asks the suspect to watch a slowly moving object, such as a pen or small flashlight. As the officer moves the object horizontally (back and forth), the officer watches the suspect's eyes as they follow the object, watching for signs that (1) the eye cannot smoothly follow a moving object, (2) distinct jerking when the eye is at maximum deviation, and (c) an angle of onset of jerking within 45 degrees of center. The presence of four or more signs between a suspect's two eyes is considered to suggest unlawful intoxication. The circumstances of a roadside administration, or a lack of training for the officer administering the test, can significantly affect test results.

Thank you......I found all that when I did a Google search. But this is something different. My BF was charged/arraigned for a DUI, and next step is to take this $125 Corin (or whatever spelling) test.....I think it's some kind of questionaire that is required when you get a DUI. Another friend of mine said she had to take it, and failed the first time.....so I was trying to find out more about it. It's a test he has to go to the court house for. :confused:

FlyingRon

Now we're getting closer. It's just CRN. From the Lancaster county court's page:

What is a CRN evaluation?

CRN is an acronym for Court Reporting Network. A CRN evaluation involves completing a questionnaire that assesses your drug and alcohol use. A certified CRN evaluator will ask you a series of questions and your responses scored. The results of the evaluation are sent to the Office of the District Attorney and provided to the Judge at the time of an ARD hearing.

You can google from here for more info...

BigMistakeFl

We use these in my state, sort of an assessment. It starts with a rather long questionaire. We look for many clues in how those are answered. That is followed by a one-on-one meeting, evaluation, at which time is is possible to recommend further addiction treatment, or a simple pass through the standard DUI classes. In my state, this is handled by and through the probation office, though not by probation officers or clerks, rather social workers.

Thank you all for the help!! I got it now, it's a CRN, geez I sure goofed the spelling up on this one :D

Now, my next question. Sounds like one of those stupid Walmart quizes they give prospective employees...lol. I did one of those once, and because I answered HONESTLY it ended up being a 1/2 long interview about why I answered 1-2 questions the way I did. Is it okay to be honest on this CRN evaluation, like is it okay to say you have a couple of beers at home in the evening, or better to play totally obstinant?

BigMistakeFl

Without giving away state secrets, I can tell you that they will be watching for dishonesty, and there are ways to tell by manner of how the questionaire is structured. It's lengthy and repetitive for a reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">