• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the cheapest and most efficient way to start driving the fastest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ericmathews

o back in August of 2015 I received a DUI in Los Angeles and am currently taking a 9 month DUI course in Arizona because I am a student here. I was 19 at the time and my license was supposed to be suspended for an automatic one year as stated by California law. By luck I received only 6 months suspension and my license can be reinstated in mid-June 2016. Because I still have to complete the DUI course I can't get a license in California until I satisfy the courts but from what I've been told I can get an Arizona license and still drive in California. So my plan is to do that but from there I need insurance. I'm a 20 year old male that was on my parents insurance but they took me off. So in my best case scenario i would be able to buy some sort of short term 2 or 3 month auto insurance policy and then be able to drive one of my parents cars that I used to drive. I'm not sure if there can be two auto insurance policies taken out on one car though. So in theory i would like to be able to pay for my own auto insurance and use my parents car while they still have their own policy on the car. I don't know much about this stuff and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to best get myself driving again. From what I've been told once i satisfy the DMV suspension period I can get a license in another state. What holds me back from getting a license in California is that I still have to show proof of completion for the DUI class to satisfy the courts. I'm under 21 so a DUI in California should have resulted in me losing my license for an automatic year but the DMV messed up and only suspended it for 6. But at the same time I am completing a 9 month alcohol course in Arizona which the California courts allowed me to take as an equivalent to a 9 month program in California. So no matter what I cant drive in California for another few months. What Im trying to do is pay for the 6 month insurance and cancel after 3 which Ive called the insurance company about. I technically am a temporary resident in Arizona but I do have an address and everything. Pretty much my license is unsuspended on June 11th but the only thing stopping me from getting the California license is the class. So my goal is to get an Arizona license and use that till I can finish with the class.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
o back in August of 2015 I received a DUI in Los Angeles and am currently taking a 9 month DUI course in Arizona because I am a student here. I was 19 at the time and my license was supposed to be suspended for an automatic one year as stated by California law. By luck I received only 6 months suspension and my license can be reinstated in mid-June 2016. Because I still have to complete the DUI course I can't get a license in California until I satisfy the courts but from what I've been told I can get an Arizona license and still drive in California. So my plan is to do that but from there I need insurance. I'm a 20 year old male that was on my parents insurance but they took me off. So in my best case scenario i would be able to buy some sort of short term 2 or 3 month auto insurance policy and then be able to drive one of my parents cars that I used to drive. I'm not sure if there can be two auto insurance policies taken out on one car though. So in theory i would like to be able to pay for my own auto insurance and use my parents car while they still have their own policy on the car. I don't know much about this stuff and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to best get myself driving again. From what I've been told once i satisfy the DMV suspension period I can get a license in another state. What holds me back from getting a license in California is that I still have to show proof of completion for the DUI class to satisfy the courts. I'm under 21 so a DUI in California should have resulted in me losing my license for an automatic year but the DMV messed up and only suspended it for 6. But at the same time I am completing a 9 month alcohol course in Arizona which the California courts allowed me to take as an equivalent to a 9 month program in California. So no matter what I cant drive in California for another few months. What Im trying to do is pay for the 6 month insurance and cancel after 3 which Ive called the insurance company about. I technically am a temporary resident in Arizona but I do have an address and everything. Pretty much my license is unsuspended on June 11th but the only thing stopping me from getting the California license is the class. So my goal is to get an Arizona license and use that till I can finish with the class.
You won't be able to get an AZ license while suspended in CA - and even if you did manage to, your driving privileges are STILL suspended in CA.

GuyInNC

By design you will not be able to get a driver's license in Az while suspended in Ca. But in practice you can check to see if you actually have an entry in the National Driver Registry. This thing can be astonishingly sloppy at times. So you never know. See https://www.nationaldriverregister.com/ about halfway down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">