• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if you are caught driving with suspended license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihavehope

What is the name of your state? PA
I know someone who is driving with a suspended license. After six months he was able to drive to work only, but he many times goes out of his way to make several stops before he goes home. What happens to someone if they are caught in a situation like this? Do they lose their license for a longer time?

Labtec600

First time caught, here in michigan at least, is a ticket. $100? or so. And the suspension gets longer I believe.

Second time you're caught you are arrested, bail is set at $500-$1000. Car is impounded. And suspension gets longer I beleive.

Thrid time, arrested, bail, car impound, and your plate is taken and destroyed.

Fourth? I dont know, they take you out back and shoot you.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Here in Florida, there are two types of "hardship" licenses you can receive to use while your real license is suspended. The restriction is either "work license" or "business license". (There is also a school one. Business license is the more broad of the two. Work license means you drive to work and home again, maybe grocery store and church. Little more. Business license is for people who run their own companies, etc. In it, you can use it for any business use.

The woman at my DMV hearing told me, while winking her eye, that I should make very certain that I am always "on business", and have proof of that business anywhere I drive. It is, as she said, between me and whatever cop pulls me over, if I get stopped. So when I drive, I have written proof of where I'm going and why.

Bravo8

I'm assuming this person has an "Occupational Limited License". It permits the person to drive to/from work and on work-related business.

Technically, stopping anywhere else while traveling to or from work is unlawful, but it is somewhat difficult for the police to prove that the person was not in fact driving for a work-related purpose.

If they were caught and convicted, they would lose their OLL and be back under a standard suspension. They would lose their license for an additional year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">