• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will a dwi my wife got do to my insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sal23

I live in Nassau Country New York. I reported my wife missing because she did not come home. The police came to my home and told me she was arrested for dwi. I was furious she called a lawyer instead of me. I put my wife and her car on my Geico Policy. I have a clean record for years. My first question is will they drop me? Can I have her sign over her car to me and remove her completely from insurance? This is her second DWI. The first one she got was 13 years ago. Is it best to take her off my insurance and once her license is restored have her get her own insurance. What is the best thing for me to do and since this happened yesterday how long before they find out? There was no accident.

I live in Nassau Country New York. I reported my wife missing because she did not come home. The police came to my home and told me she was arrested for dwi. I was furious she called a lawyer instead of me. I put my wife and her car on my Geico Policy. I have a clean record for years. My first question is will they drop me? Can I have her sign over her car to me and remove her completely from insurance? This is her second DWI. The first one she got was 13 years ago. Is it best to take her off my insurance and once her license is restored have her get her own insurance. What is the best thing for me to do and since this happened yesterday how long before they find out? There was no accident.
1. i live in suffolk county and am a insurance rep and i hate geico.

2. nassau cops are on there job, so definately she was drunk driving. and it was good to call a lawyer, altho she should have had you do it. Why would you report her missing instead of asking if they had her. I always start there.
A friend of mine did 60 days for a DWI in nassau. so good luck.

**** oh yes they will drop you.***** but after she has been convicted and pays the penalty. so you have some time. She lives with you you cannot remove her from your policy unless she gets her own insurace policy( I really suggest a year policy with hanover but do it now before she has to go to court a second time) or moves out. That DWI will be with her even if she clears up her license. they can hold that up to 7 years.

your going to end up paying for this through the nose. weather she is on your policy or she gets one on her own. Go get a new company. Hanover is a good one. your local independant agent can get you a nice new policy and you might not get a premium hike till you renew ( they have yearly rates.) since she will have had enough time to get her restricted license. instead of geico's 6 month renewals= less time to clean it as much as possible for this part of the process)

good luck.

BigMistakeFl

My insurance company did not cancel my policies after my DUI. It didn't even go up much, but I only had the one arrest.

You can put her car in her name only and yours in your name only, and you can have her get her own policy. The theory of liability back to you if she causes harm to anyone seems weak though.

DUI-Help

Alright, I can help you out with this one.

First, Geico shouldn't find out about her DWI until they run her record. They normally only run her record if you change your insurance policy or make a claim. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T ALTER YOU POLICY.

Now, I am not sure if you are going to have to file for SR-22 insurance or not. If you need SR-22 insurance to get her license back here is what you do: Call around to Allstate, Progressive, etc and get her the cheapest liability plan you can get (while keeping her on the current Geico plan).

In the long run this is going to save you at least a couple thousand.

Now, if she does get in an accident or need to make a claim, you can still do it through Geico (they have to by law). However, if you make a claim Geico will most likely drop you and you will probably need to get collision insurance somewhere else.

Good luck, you guys will get through it.

FlyingRon

Excuse me, Mr DUI-HELP,

If she listed on the policy they will hear of the DUI conviction for sure whether the hubby changes the policy or not. It vary much matters what state you are in to determine what happens next as even with "national" companies like Geico, they operate under the rules of the local insurance commission and compete against other companies on the same playing field.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">