• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When will I get my license back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotdog1

I was convicted of a MISDEMEANOR because I had the charge reduced from a felony after completing a 6 months substance abuse program.

And no, I don't know the difference between revocation and suspension, anyone want to tell me?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You'd better be sure whether you are suspended or revoked. DWI penalties are license revocation not suspension.

A suspension is a temporary invalidation of your license. At the end of the suspension period you pay a termination fee and the suspension gets lifted. No other paperwork is needed.

When your license is revoked it is as if you NEVER had a license to begin with - it's GONE. At the end of the revocation period you must apply for a license from scratch, take the written drivers exam and if you pass take a road test.

BL

I was convicted of a MISDEMEANOR because I had the charge reduced from a felony after completing a 6 months substance abuse program.
Well,I don't know how you accomplished that quite frankly.

And no, I don't know the difference between revocation and suspension, anyone want to tell me?
Revoked = Starting all over again to have a license.

Suspended= You could have your license reinstated .

NY DWI is harsh. It's very different from CA DUI law. I don't want to even touch this question. Don't really understand how NY DWI law works. Very different. I find it fascinating. I'll stick with just CA DUI law. :)

hotdog1

When your license is revoked it is as if you NEVER had a license to begin with - it's GONE. At the end of the revocation period you must apply for a license from scratch, take the written drivers exam and if you pass take a road test.
Your wrong, if your license is revoked in some cases you do not need to start from scratch. In the past, for my 1st offense, my license was revoked and after a year I applied for a new one and all they did was send me a drivers license in the mail. Who the hell are you anyway? Do you come on this forum to bash others and act like a complete ******* because it makes you feel good? Do something else for a change and stop spreading false information. No advice is better than inaccurate information..

BL

Your wrong, if your license is revoked in some cases you do not need to start from scratch. In the past, for my 1st offense, my license was revoked and after a year I applied for a new one and all they did was send me a drivers license in the mail. Who the hell are you anyway? Do you come on this forum to bash others and act like a complete ******* because it makes you feel good? Do something else for a change and stop spreading false information. No advice is better than inaccurate information..
http://www.nysdmv.com/search.htm?cx=007061114450675468010%3Adhdx9x0tera&q=+revoke&cof=FORID%3A11[/U]]NYS DMV - Search Page

I suggest you read A GUIDE TO SUSPENSION & REVOCATION OF DRIVING

PDF Format.

A GUIDE TO SUSPENSION & REVOCATION OF DRIVING PRIVILEGES IN NEW YORK STATE

DEFINITIONS
sus.pen.sion n 1: Your license, permit, or privilege to drive is taken away for a period of time before it is returned. You may be required to pay a suspension termination fee.

re.vo.ca.tion n: Your license, permit, or privilege to drive is voided; it no longer exists. To get a new license, or permit, or to restore your privilege you must re-apply to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV ) once the revocation period is over.
You may be required to pay a license re-application fee. Your application may be denied if you have a poor driving record or refuse to meet DMV requirements.

Revocation periods may be longer than the minimum periods listed in this publication.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your (sic) wrong, if your license is revoked in some cases you do not need to start from scratch. In the past, for my 1st offense, my license was revoked and after a year I applied for a new one and all they did was send me a drivers license in the mail.
If you were granted a waiver by the DMV then so be it. That is not the norm for revocations.

Who the hell are you anyway? Do you come on this forum to bash others and act like a complete ******* because it makes you feel good? Do something else for a change and stop spreading false information. No advice is better than inaccurate information..
How did I bash YOU? Because I said DWI penalties are not harsh enough?

And it is not false information. I just explained that. If you don't like it that's just too bad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">