• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why didn't cops put me through sobriety tests?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juntjoo

sorry, this new mobile format is taking a bit to get used to.

anyway, I was pulled over the other night and had been drinking about four beers which would probably put me past the legal limit and the cops were asking me if I had been drinking and I denied doing so but I definitely didn't look sober as I had also smoked some too which my eyes really like to make obvious. and of course they were questioning as to whether or not I had marijuana, again which I denied. but I'm guessing I didn't really look drunk enough for them to go through all that trouble...

I guess I'm feeling I got really lucky. REALLY lucky and I don't know why they didn't impose any tests on me. anyone have an understanding of the laws involved and intentions of the police in this scenario? thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
We don't read minds.

Field sobriety tests are not required. Why the officers didn't pursue this further can't be determined by us. You should have asked them. :rolleyes:

dave33

sorry, this new mobile format is taking a bit to get used to.

anyway, I was pulled over the other night and had been drinking about four beers which would probably put me past the legal limit and the cops were asking me if I had been drinking and I denied doing so but I definitely didn't look sober as I had also smoked some too which my eyes really like to make obvious. and of course they were questioning as to whether or not I had marijuana, again which I denied. but I'm guessing I didn't really look drunk enough for them to go through all that trouble...

I guess I'm feeling I got really lucky. REALLY lucky and I don't know why they didn't impose any tests on me. anyone have an understanding of the laws involved and intentions of the police in this scenario? thanks.
You want to know why you got lucky? The stars were aligned in such a way that....

You really should count your lucky stars on that one. You could have just as easily gotten arrested and be facing a mountain of problems today.

juntjoo

no, my driving ability wasn't impaired. well, if it was more than if I had zero alcohol I'd still be less of a threat than most elderly and young people with licenced. but that's neither here not there not the point of the thread. but back to the point please, maybe, shall we?

juntjoo

I know you don't read minds but like I said it was obvious I wasn't completely sober. I'm guessing maybe at that time of night they decided to hold out for some bigger fish or something because they didn't even test me, which is perfectly legal to require no? I found it weird because the whole time they had me it was obvious that at least one of them was really enjoying himself and would have taken great pleasure in stuffing in the back seat of his vehicle and he probably could have. do they face big legal risks by pursuing suspects if they don't find the needed evidence to arrest them? may-BE my prayers were answered right there when they returned to my vehicle and mysteriously let me go with one last request "you sure you don't want us to take a quick peek in your car(for drugs and/or weapons)" like they really wanted to find my pipe and hand cuff me then test my blood alcohol level then eff me big time, but not without my permission. I was thinking if they really wanted to they didn't need my permission. anyway...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
no, my driving ability wasn't impaired. well, if it was more than if I had zero alcohol I'd still be less of a threat than most elderly and young people with licenced. but that's neither here not there not the point of the thread. but back to the point please, maybe, shall we?
You are an idiot quite frankly. How do you know your driving ability wasn't impaired? I would say you were totally lucky all the way around. Glad to know you are so ****y about it.

ETA: the starred word is actually C.o.c.k.y. Not a curse word.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

no, my driving ability wasn't impaired. well, if it was more than if I had zero alcohol I'd still be less of a threat than most elderly and young people with licenced.
I don't like name calling, but Ohiogal is right - you ARE an idiot.

You just got really, really lucky. Prob. because the particular police were incompetent. Don't count on it happening again.

Since you had alcohol and marijuana in you, of course you were impaired.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Consider it a sign from above that you should stop driving drunk and high, because you're never going to get this lucky again.

CdwJava

You admittedly had been drinking and smoking (marijuana, I presume). You also admit to not being completely sober .. by definition, that would mean you were impaired. You WERE impaired, my friend. You may not believe you were, but as a matter of medical fact, you were. The question would not have been impairment, but whether you were too impaired to safely operate a motor vehicle.

You got DARN lucky. You were stopped either by an inexperienced, incompetent, or lazy cop. If you appeared to be impaired, and the odor of marijuana was present, he should have investigated further. Had you gotten into a collision after he let you go, he could be held personally liable for any damage you might have done after that. Had he been one of my officers, I would have had his tail in a sling!

You got darn lucky.

Do yourself and the rest of the public a favor - if you must smoke dope and drink, do it at home and do not drive!

HighwayMan

Is there a more probable reason?
If you are counting on an impaired individual's recollection of events as being accurate then maybe you are high too.

Without having actually witnessed the stop and subsequent events it is impossible to guess what the reason was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">