• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WV resident caught behind wheel w/car shut off in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Virtuousplus

What is the name of your state? GA. But I live in WV. :)

I am a WV female residence and have a driver's license here. This is my first time for a DUI. I was in GA in December & drove 1/2 to 1-mile & knew to parked my truck & turned it off with my 14 year child with me. The police pulled up by me and asked me to do field test, I did. Then a breathe test. They handcuffed me and searched my truck and impounded it. I was accused of hitting a 40x20 fence that I was parked by and DUI. My registration of my vehicle, insurance papers & money were taken during this time. While in jail, officer F... hit my head 3 x in the brickwall and poked me a few times in my stomach and arms. I was made to undress via two women officers & peppered sprayed in my face by them. February is my arraignment date to plead not guilty/guilty. Have to come back for this hearing, 452 miles and 7 hours. I am a single mom, no funds and needs my WV lis to work-can I appeal/write judge for mercy? :eek:
My dad will probably be taking me down and wondering also if my best interest would be to plead, not guilty? :confused: I believe this would be best, I dunno. Also, I spent 14 hours in jail that night, wondering if via pleading not guilty I will have to spend anymore time in jail down there because I wont be assigned an attorney until I plead not guilty and I certainly dont want to invest anymore time (and I dont have the funds) into this huge mistake that has cost me such severe penalties already. All help would be appreciated, thanks so much for this site.

FlyingRon

The laws of GA apply to the DUI (criminal) charge.

Plead not guilty unless you have good advice from a lawyer to do otherwise. Get a lawyer.

While a lawyer can minimize your need to come back to Georgia, you wil almost certainly need to make one appearance.

First time DUI's in GA are usually suspended to 24 hours of jail time. You might get credit for the time you already served.

Ask daddy to pay for a real DUI lawyer.

Expect to NOT be driving at all for 120 days to a year, by the way.
One of the insidious problems of getting busted for DUI out of state is that you usually lose the hardship license option.

Ozark_Sophist

Are there any other charges beyond the DUI? From your description, "...made to undress...pepper sprayed...," it appears you may be facing other counts related to your detainment. I would also hope you were charged for endangering the welfare of a child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">