• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are You Better Off Legally Doing Hit & Run if Drunk & Then Turning Yourself in Later?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HiFi

Are You Better Off Legally Doing Hit & Run if Drunk & Then Turning Yourself in Later?

I just want to verify that its true that one is better off legally if they are drunk and hit someone and take off and then turn themselves in the next day (or when the alcohol is out of their system) then not fleeing the scene and being arrested for driving under the influence and hitting someone? I'm asking from a legal point of view not an ethical/moral one. I don't even drive so this isn't applicable to me but someone was telling me this is why people do this and I just want to verify if this is so.

I would assume the answer would be applicable to all States but if its not please let me know. Thank you.

HiFi

As I said I'm not advocating drinking & driving or the ethical and moral reasons to not hit and run. I just want to verify that the way the law is set up that someone is legally better off doing a hit and run and turning themselves in a day or 2 later then not fleeing the scene and being charged with DUI as well.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Not answering the question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh I do give you credit for using so many exclamation points, although I think you used up everyone else's daily quota, too.

Also I am sad now because I have none left to use.

:(

Isis1

As I said I'm not advocating drinking & driving or the ethical and moral reasons to not hit and run. I just want to verify that the way the law is set up that someone is legally better off doing a hit and run and turning themselves in a day or 2 later then not fleeing the scene and being charged with DUI as well.
Why is it important for someone to get away with a crime they committed?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I'll play your game.

No.

My understanding is that it would be preferable to have a DUI than a hit and run on your record, if indeed it is absolutely necessary to have one or the other. It should go without saying that the ideal solution would be to have neither.

Is that better? Or do we keep playing until someone gives you the answer you want to hear?

Proserpina

Okay, I'll play your game.

No.

My understanding is that it would be preferable to have a DUI than a hit and run on your record, if indeed it is absolutely necessary to have one or the other. It should go without saying that the ideal solution would be to have neither.

Is that better? Or do we keep playing until someone gives you the answer you want to hear?

Apparently the "premise" is that the driver is guilty of both - but doesn't want the DUI tacked on to the hit-and-run since the charges and consequences would likely be greatly enhanced.

Oh snap.

I just answered the question, didn't I?

Isis1

Apparently the "premise" is that the driver is guilty of both - but doesn't want the DUI tacked on to the hit-and-run since the charges and consequences would likely be greatly enhanced.

Oh snap.

I just answered the question, didn't I?
Shaaaaaame on YOU!!!!!!!

cyjeff

I will answer your question with a question.

It all depends on your definition of "better". Would you consider prison "better"?

Adding a felony to a DUI isn't a really smart thing to do.

HiFi

The First Answerer Can't Read English The Others Don't Grasp the Question

The first reply is a typical forum of any kind answerer who does not answer the question that was clearly asked. As to the others I shall clarify this a bit:

Someone is drunk and driving and hits someone who is clearly dead. Is that person better off in terms of what they would be facing in regards to criminal charges and the amount of time spent in jail, taking off and turning themselves in when they are free of alcohol in their system or not fleeing the scene where they will be charged with killing a person while driving a car intoxicated? Just because you may not like the possible answer is no reason not to answer the question.

Proserpina

The first reply is a typical forum of any kind answerer who does not answer the question that was clearly asked. As to the others I shall clarify this a bit:

Someone is drunk and driving and hits someone who is clearly dead. Is that person better off in terms of what they would be facing in regards to criminal charges and the amount of time spent in jail, taking off and turning themselves in when they are free of alcohol in their system or not fleeing the scene where they will be charged with killing a person while driving a car intoxicated? Just because you may not like the possible answer is no reason not to answer the question.

Honey, take your snotty little attitude elsewhere.

Have your felon friend - assuming it's not you - pay for a decent attorney who can answer the question and listen to the tripe.

Happy Good Friday.

cyjeff

And now you can piss off.

You killed someone and are getting all pissy because YOUR life is a little complicated.

HiFi

Honey You're the Morons I Don't Drive Genius & You Morons Can't Answer a Question

This is why I hate this board Most of you people are the most pathetic and idiotic people alive- yeah I'm sure the moderator will kick me off and suspend me because I responded to your insults with an insult which in the twisted world of you people means I'm guilty & the instigators innocent.

Well if somehow this question is left on maybe you narrow minded knuckleheads will learn that if a person asks a questions, either answer the question as specified if you know the answer or don't answer at all.

To the moron who accused me of killing someone and/or drunk driving, sorry I'm from NY and I don't drive. I also don't drink and have never killed somebody. Just because people ask a none PC question or a question you don't want to hear doesn't mean you have the right to harass someone. SATAN LOVES YOU

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">