• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old student rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlyleII

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I turned 18 almost a month ago. Here's my situation - I got some tardies & also skipped a whole class so they told me I got Saturday school. Thing is I work on Saturdays. So I tell the principal that and he says if I don't show up on Saturday then I get 3 days ISS. So the school still has corporal punishment because it's only the year 1811 here but my parents had some epiphany or something a couple of years back about whippin kids so they don't let schools give us licks. I ain't too worried about the principal, he can't paddle himself down a fast moving river. So I told him that I'll take the alternative of licks because I can't go on Saturday and I don't want to miss 3 days of classes. He told me that the paper my parents signed at the start of the year disallowing corporal punishment is valid for the whole year.
Legally isn't it my decision now? I don't normally want someone to whip me but I got to go to work and we got classes before finals next week...

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I turned 18 almost a month ago. Here's my situation - I got some tardies & also skipped a whole class so they told me I got Saturday school. Thing is I work on Saturdays. So I tell the principal that and he says if I don't show up on Saturday then I get 3 days ISS. So the school still has corporal punishment because it's only the year 1811 here but my parents had some epiphany or something a couple of years back about whippin kids so they don't let schools give us licks. I ain't too worried about the principal, he can't paddle himself down a fast moving river. So I told him that I'll take the alternative of licks because I can't go on Saturday and I don't want to miss 3 days of classes. He told me that the paper my parents signed at the start of the year disallowing corporal punishment is valid for the whole year.
Legally isn't it my decision now? I don't normally want someone to whip me but I got to go to work and we got classes before finals next week...
Are you a mentaly disabled adult?

CarlyleII

Not my decision...maybe I didn't explain this properly.

If parents say 'yes' to corporal punishment then in this situation I could trade out Saturday school for the licks. So, it would be my decision.

Now I'm 18 - does what my parents said when I was 17 still count or can I decide myself?

Not the decision I really wanna make but I have to work and missing 3 days of classes is way too much.

Humusluvr

If parents say 'yes' to corporal punishment then in this situation I could trade out Saturday school for the licks. So, it would be my decision.

Now I'm 18 - does what my parents said when I was 17 still count or can I decide myself?

Not the decision I really wanna make but I have to work and missing 3 days of classes is way too much.
I actually disagree with the others here - it should be your decision at this point.

But, the principal may have to honor the paper signed by your parents, because it likely says, "for the 2011/2012 school year." So the doc they signed may truly exclude you from corporal punishment for the entire school year. So, I do really believe that the principal is covering his own butt here - he could be sued based on what your parent's signed.

So, you probably won't be able to take the licks, but for next year, you can make your own choice, if you are still in school. Otherwise, I do believe the school should be sensitive to your needs to work, and provide you an alternative to Saturday school.

Good luck, and quit skipping class!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Maybe we didn't make ourselves clear.

Regardless of your age, and even allowing for the fact that at 18 you can make your own decisions, the method of disciplinary action that the school takes is not your choice. You don't get to tell your parents that you'd rather get the car keys taken away than be grounded; you don't get to tell your boss that you'd rather have a written warning go in your file than have an unpaid suspension, and you don't get to tell the school that you'd rather corporal punishment than go to Saturday school. It's not nothing to do with how old you are or who gets to make decisions for you; it's that this is not your decision to make. It wouldn't be your parents decision to make either, had they not signed that paper. IT IS THE DECISION OF THE SCHOOL AND NO ONE ELSE what method of discipline they decide to apply.

It's going to be the same way when you graduate and go to work full time. You, and not your parents, can make the decision as to what job you take and what benefits you elect, but you will NOT get to tell the boss what disciplinary measures you get.

CarlyleII

But, the principal may have to honor the paper signed by your parents, because it likely says, "for the 2011/2012 school year." So the doc they signed may truly exclude you from corporal punishment for the entire school year. So, I do really believe that the principal is covering his own butt here - he could be sued based on what your parent's signed.
Yeh you're probably right about that being the way that it is. I couldn't over-ride that by turning in a new paper signed by myself as an adult? That couldn't replace the old one?

Otherwise, I do believe the school should be sensitive to your needs to work, and provide you an alternative to Saturday school.
Yeh, I been trying. Before I said I'd take the licks I said, can't I do the same number of hours in after school detention? He said no.

I have to go to work to get the money to pay for work on my truck that I use to get to school in the first place.

cbg - I think you're missing the point that if there's a 'yes' for corporal punishment then they will literally say "Saturday school or licks, up to you". They do give the student the choice.

I'mTheFather

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that I'm sure your principal would love to oblige you, but his better judgment prevents him from doing so.

Isis1

Yeh you're probably right about that being the way that it is. I couldn't over-ride that by turning in a new paper signed by myself as an adult? That couldn't replace the old one?

Yeh, I been trying. Before I said I'd take the licks I said, can't I do the same number of hours in after school detention? He said no.

I have to go to work to get the money to pay for work on my truck that I use to get to school in the first place.

cbg - I think you're missing the point that if there's a 'yes' for corporal punishment then they will literally say "Saturday school or licks, up to you". They do give the student the choice.
what if your parents where to sign a newer form stating they retract their previous stance?

Proserpina

I think you're missing the point ;)

There is already a "no" on paper, regarding corporal punishment. Hence it is no longer your choice.

The school is, obviously, covering their ass as opposed to spanking yours.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you're missing the point that this is a legal forum and it is NOT your right under the law to choose. If the school says, "This is the way it is" then that is the way it is. The law is NOT going to force them to whip you because that is what you would prefer. In fact, I am by no means certain that it is legal for them to even offer that choice.

The bottom line is that the school is doing nothing illegal by requiring that you go to Saturday school EVEN IF you work and EVEN IF you will be missing work and EVEN IF you are over 18 and can make your own decisions and EVEN IF they have been known to offer students the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">