• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 months into semester, school trying to say never should have been accepted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HannahCF

Pennsylvania; My husband was accepted into a University in July 2011 and started his first semester January 2012. He is here in the Us on a fiancé visa and is awaiting his Green Card. He has his bachelors from a university in Italy and applied last spring 2011 to this University. He started school in January and has paid his tuition for the semester already. He got an email today that asked him if his submitted transcript was a complete one. He responded "yes" and went to the office to see if there was a problem. They told him they normally don't accept international students with 3 year bachelors degrees. He asked well what does that mean? Are you kicking me out? And she replied saying "I don't know we have to talk to the Bursars office.". They wouldn't tell him anything else and have yet to update him on anything. I want to know if a university formally accepts you into their program and you have already started classe and paid tuition can they really come back and say, "sorry we never should have accepted you, we're kicking you out now!" ??

We picked up our whole lives to move to where this school is. We signed a 1 year lease with our apartment complex, I just started a full time job...if they kick him out for an error that was 100% theirs we have lost time and money we will not get back. I'm just looking for advice or something...can they do anything other than just say, we messed up, but we're going to let you stay?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HannahCF

Just to be clear - the school hasn't actually kicked him out (or tried to)?
No not yet...but they won't even tell him that being kicked out isn't an option...I just want to be prepared if they come back and say sorry he can no longer go to school there. As of now we are completely in the dark...just want to know if I'm worrying for nothing?

Humusluvr

Pennsylvania; My husband was accepted into a University in July 2011 and started his first semester January 2012. He is here in the Us on a fiancé visa and is awaiting his Green Card. He has his bachelors from a university in Italy and applied last spring 2011 to this University. He started school in January and has paid his tuition for the semester already. He got an email today that asked him if his submitted transcript was a complete one. He responded "yes" and went to the office to see if there was a problem. They told him they normally don't accept international students with 3 year bachelors degrees. He asked well what does that mean? Are you kicking me out? And she replied saying "I don't know we have to talk to the Bursars office.". They wouldn't tell him anything else and have yet to update him on anything. I want to know if a university formally accepts you into their program and you have already started classe and paid tuition can they really come back and say, "sorry we never should have accepted you, we're kicking you out now!" ??

We picked up our whole lives to move to where this school is. We signed a 1 year lease with our apartment complex, I just started a full time job...if they kick him out for an error that was 100% theirs we have lost time and money we will not get back. I'm just looking for advice or something...can they do anything other than just say, we messed up, but we're going to let you stay?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I think you are over-reacting. I can see how you might think this would be catastrophic, but in reality, he may just need to take a few extra classes. They aren't looking to kick him out - he's a paying customer, after all - but they may want more money from him to complete pre-recs he may not have.

Let us know what happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">