• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

academic dishonesty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lou who

What is the name of your state? idaho

I was accused in front of other student of academic dishonesty by a college instructor. With no basis to her claim, she basicly said I beleive you are involved in academic dishonest, stormed off, came back later and with another instructor, and in front of even more students said "we will allow you to take the test today, but there may be reprocutions". I then asked to speak to them in private, I was crying shaken, dropped my bag. I did explain to them that another instructor had asked a class (which I was in) how they did on the test. everyone had said how poorly they had done, and said they thought some questions were tricky. I had just mentioned the tricky question thing to the instructor when she immediatly accused me of accademic dishonesty, with out hearing anything I said. They did eventually in private say I had done nothing wrong, but the damage was done. Other students witnessed me being called a cheater by an instructor, crying, and very upset. I received no apology and beleive that my education in their class room will forever be changed. I beleive what happed was defamation of charcter or libel?

JETX

Though there is a very slim chance that this could elevate to the level of defamation, the realities are that there is little if anything you can do.

One of the things that you would have to do to attempt legal action would be to have been damaged. Other than your hurt feelings, I really don't see any compensable damages.

Further, a lawsuit like this is both expensive and time consuming... and since no attorney will take it on contingency (too much risk, no damage), you would have to front the several thousand in costs.

Both of the above make the reality of any action unlikely.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 Rumors To Spread In Public About Your Professor To Get Even - -

NUMBER 10: Visits elementary schools, teaching youngsters how to cheat on their tests!

NUMBER 9: Mumbled "sorry" after colcocking you in outer office.

NUMBER 8: Is receiving counseling for her addiction to using adult diapers.

NUMBER 7: Refuses to remove the word "bitch" from her office nameplate.

NUMBER 6: Counts to 10, then keeps slapping you mercilessly.

NUMBER 5: Scream into professor's office yelling, "the steel drum band guy is banging on your car with a hammer!"

NUMBER 4: Spread a rumor that boys won't date her because she's a ruthless homicidal lunatic.

NUMBER 3: Remind the professor that when she catches herself cheating at solitaire she has to cut off her hand.

NUMBER 2: In front of everyone, congratulate her for being GQ "Man" of the year.

AND the NUMBER ONE Rumor To Spread In Public About Your Professor To Get Even - -

So dumb, she used to cheat off her brother, George, in college!

M

meganproser

Why don't you document the incident, explain to the parties involved (in writing) how concerned you are about your reputation, and ask them to do what they can to rectify things?

It doesn't hurt to ask and they have no way of knowing that you have a continuing concern, if you don't tell them so.

Unless there is much more than you are saying here, I don't see any way you can sue anyone over this. Just do a search on the Find Law site under "defamation" and you will find the elements of a defamation action.

I am not an attorney. I wish you luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">