• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Academic Dishonesty - like ex post facto?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chandojmc

What is the name of your state? Texas

Okay, here's the whole story. I am in this class called Mechanics of Materials (Engineering) and my girlfriend and I are in the same section and study together. We were both accused of academic dishonesty. Here's how it went: We got our tests back in class and we both had a question about our grading. I went to the TA to argue for points and got 15 points added to my score. My girlfriend argued a similar point and also got the 15 points. We both went into the TA session a week later, and the TA asked for our tests back to record the grades. We both handed them to him. Later, I went to get my test back from the TA because I was going to use it to study and he said "I havent done anything with them yet".
Today I got an email saying I have been turned in for academic dishonesty, as did my girlfriend. We have both NEVER cheated and would NEVER think of such a thing. We have proof that we study together and we have proof that we go to the same tutor. The test was written in pencil, which can be erased... Isn't this a violation of our rights? Our errors were very common to the rest of the class (we were the only ones with the initiative to argue them). This is a numbers and concepts class, i.e. there can be many similar wrong answers due to bad assumptions. What should I do?

Thank you for reading this...

BelizeBreeze

chandojmc said:

Okay, here's the whole story. I am in this class called Mechanics of Materials (Engineering) and my girlfriend and I are in the same section and study together. We were both accused of academic dishonesty. Here's how it went: We got our tests back in class and we both had a question about our grading. I went to the TA to argue for points and got 15 points added to my score. My girlfriend argued a similar point and also got the 15 points. We both went into the TA session a week later, and the TA asked for our tests back to record the grades. We both handed them to him. Later, I went to get my test back from the TA because I was going to use it to study and he said "I havent done anything with them yet".
Today I got an email saying I have been turned in for academic dishonesty, as did my girlfriend. We have both NEVER cheated and would NEVER think of such a thing. We have proof that we study together and we have proof that we go to the same tutor. The test was written in pencil, which can be erased... Isn't this a violation of our rights? Our errors were very common to the rest of the class (we were the only ones with the initiative to argue them). This is a numbers and concepts class, i.e. there can be many similar wrong answers due to bad assumptions. What should I do?

This has nothing to do with the law. You have appeal processes through the university.

luvbskts

chandojmc said:

How is a test being written in pencil a violation of your rights?

Happy Trails

luvbskts said:
How is a test being written in pencil a violation of your rights?
I think he means he would like to assure that the answers that he submits aren't subject to someone changing them.

I think it's odd they use pencil, we could only use pen. (Which violated my right to change my answer) LOL Well, really I did find a way.

S

seniorjudge

chandojmc said:

BB is right, but tell me...this speaks volumes:

This is a numbers and concepts class, i.e. there can be many similar wrong answers due to bad assumptions.

Expand on that, okay?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">