• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of Academic Dishonesty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tonio23

Hi,

I am student from Florida and I am in a nursing program. A professor sent me to a student progress committee (student ethic committee) for academic dishonesty. Even though I had a doctor's note excusing me from the day of the exam due to an injury the night before the exam and I was on medication, due to the fact that I still attended my orientation for my new job it was in some way academic dishonesty. Either way, I am awaiting the results to see if they allow me to take the exam, attend next semester, and/or if I should be expelled. When I attended the committee they hammered me about the ethical implications but I did not agree because this was an unforeseen event but I had to show up at the orientation or risk losing my future job or the chance of a job in the this hospital, so, I had my girlfriend drive me to the orientation which was 5 mins from my house but I didn't attend the exam because I was on muscle relaxers and Vicodin and I would have to drive myself because the school is a half an hour from my house and my girlfriend had to go to work. I am concern! Should I get an attorney for the appeals process?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

It's hard to follow your English, but if you were too sick to take the exam, why were you well enough to go to work? You'll have to explain that to the disciplinary committee. That's your due process and we can't conjecture what to do next without knowing what happens there. Write back if they take action against you.

HomeGuru

Hi,

I am from Florida and I am in a nursing program. A professor sent me to a student progress committee (student ethic committee). I am waiting for the results. They making it seem like, even though I had a doctors note excusing me from the day of the exam cause I hurt myself the night before the exam and I was on meds because I still attend my orientation for my new job, it was in some way academic dishonesty. Either way, I am awaiting the results to see if they even allow me to take the final, attend next semester, and/or if I should be expelled. When I attended the committee they hammered me about the ethical implications and I didn't agree because this was an unforeseen event but I had to show myself at the orientation or risk losing my future job or the chance of a job in the this hospital, so, I had my girlfriend drive me to the orientation which was 5 mins. from my house but I didn't attend the exam because I was on muscle relaxers and Vicodin and I would have to drive myself because the school is a half an hour from my house and my girlfriend had to go to work. I after being pressed repeatedly, I agree that I understood the ethical dilemma but it didn't give me a good feeling walking out the door. I am concern! Should I get an attorney for the appeals process?

**A: confusing post.

Tonio23

reply...

I choose not to take the exam because I was on medication. Last time I took an exam on muscle relaxers, I got a bad grade on the exam. I apologize for the confusion. I will let you know the outcome.

CLJM

I choose not to take the exam because I was on medication. Last time I took an exam on muscle relaxers, I got a bad grade on the exam. I apologize for the confusion. I will let you know the outcome.
Tonio,

Not legal advice here----just a lesson in life.

Sometimes in life, we are forced to face situations like this---and, one has to make a choice. You, apparently made the choice to take the muscle relaxers and pain medication and choose not to take your exam. You made the choice, regardless of knowing and understanding the ethical dilemma and consequences paired with that choice---and what it might cost you with your enrollment in the program.
There is a "cost" and price to pay for every decision made, or not made. We call that "opportunity" cost.

Others, faced with the same decision---might very well decide to make a different choice.

Tonio23

Reply to CLJM

So, your saying it would've better for me to be in pain and to push myself to take an exam in that condition instead?

CLJM

So, your saying it would've better for me to be in pain and to push myself to take an exam in that condition instead?
Tonio,

No. What I am saying is---it was your choice to make---and you made it. Only you could decide what "pushing" yourself might have meant.

"Push" vs possibility of not being able to take the exam
"Push" vs possibility of not being able to attend next semester
"Push" vs possibility of being expelled

FlyingRon

If you're not going to bother to answer my questions, I can't help you.
If I was your prof, I'd seriously doubt your honesty of claiming you should be allowed to post pone the exam claiming you were sick but not so sick you couldn't go to your other commitments.

Tonio23

reply to flyingron

I thought I answer you question I apologize. I didn't go because I felt it wasn't in my best interest for me to drive or take the exam on medication. In addition, I only needed 19 out of 75 to pass the class since I had gotten all A's in the class.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I thought I answer you question I apologize. I didn't go because I felt it wasn't in my best interest for me to drive or take the exam on medication. In addition, I only needed 19 out of 75 to pass the class since I had gotten all A's in the class.
So you really COULD have taken the exam, even if you did poorly. It would not have affected your passing. Suppose you had NOT been injured. You STILL had the orientation for the job. How did you plan to make the two conflicts work out? It really is rather... convenient... that you suddenly had this injury and couldn't take the exam. Especially since you COULD attend orientation. Do you understand the problem the committee has with your story?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">