• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advance assignments illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Johnnyboy121

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
A teacher of mine said that providing assignments in advance (either of other students or of the class/term scheduled date of beginning) is against the law, citing reasons of competitive advantage and a grading curve. Can anyone verify or deny whether it is, in fact, illegal to provide specific students with assignments in advance? (If yes, could you please provide some relevant reading material?)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you perhaps under the (very mistaken) idea that if it is NOT illegal, you can force the teacher to provide advance assignments?

Because you can't.

Johnnyboy121

Not at all.
I actually was approached by a friend of mine who is a teacher, who has a student demanding that she provide him the assignments and information ahead of time (she already provided the syllabus and other normally provided information). I remembered this conversation with a teacher of mine, and was trying to see if I could find any useful information for my friend.

quincy

Not at all.
I actually was approached by a friend of mine who is a teacher, who has a student demanding that she provide him the assignments and information ahead of time (she already provided the syllabus and other normally provided information). I remembered this conversation with a teacher of mine, and was trying to see if I could find any useful information for my friend.
Why is the student demanding assignments in advance? Will the student be vacationing or out of the state for awhile and wants to keep up with his class, or does he have special needs that require additional time to complete an assignment?

A teacher is perfectly within her legal rights to say "no" to any demands made by a student. A student's demands have no legal force behind them. It will be on what the student is basing his demands that can make a difference.

justalayman

Not at all.
teacher friend needs to get a backbone and simply tell student NO.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your teacher friend does not have to prove anything to him. All she has to say is, No.

While this is not my area of law, I very much doubt that it's out and out illegal. I can think of situations when it might be, if not required, at least recommended. But likewise there is no law the student can invoke that will force her to provide them, as I already indicated.

She has no obligation, legal or otherwise, to provide him with any reason for the refusal. "No, Jimmy, you'll get the assignments at the same time as the rest of the class," is all that's needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">