• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alcohol policy and Residency issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcbonnell

Okay currently my daughter attends NYU as a transfer it is her first year. She is placed on a transfer floor for students an upperclassmen was assigned to her suite due to being granted special permission by NYU to do so, she did so just for the extra rooming space. Now the current issue is we moved our daughter in on move in day, and the RAs gave us the key to the room in the suite and so forth, there was no demarcation of the room on the door. We move her in and the roommate of the person in question moves in without an issue and we talked and everything. The next day my daughters roomate and the other roomate moves in(upperclassmen). Nothing gets said negatively or anything about a mix up of rooms. The day classes start my daughter receives notice frm an RA that the upperclassman notified them that they were given the improper room and need to switch, without even talking to the girls, therefore me and my daughter meet with the Resident director who assures us it will all be corrected appropriately.

A week passes by and Friday after we leave at 5:06 we receive notice that she has to move out by the weekend and switch rooms and that the other suitemates besides her and her roommate have been given access and keys to the room before they even moved out! Now heres the issue at hand the upperclassman was storing alcohol technically in my daughters room even though this was already agaibst policy by having it in the suite given the rooming with minors. On top of that she knowingly started storing it in shared spaces. My daughter and her roommates strictly chose eachother due to religion playing in factor with the use of alcohol. The RD was notified and took no action or comment, the next day the alcohol was moved to the shared freezer even after the meeting with the RD with the roommate in question present who was aware what she was doing was against policy. 3 of the 4 roommates asked for a meeting with the RD only to get told the upperclassmen was going to be shown other places or she was going to be moving into that room no matter what. Mind you classes are in their 3rd week and we flew from LA to NYC to handle this only to have NYU allowing the endangerment of the welfare of a child and since the alcohol is technically in the room unlawful posession of alcohol. The RD and RAs have both ignored this and stated my daughter is in contempt of policy given that shes not in the properly assigned room still and needs to move, not even allowing a grievance procedure to be ruled first. The other 3 roommates are having to move as well. Is NYU liable for breaking the NYS alcohol laws given that notice was given directly to an RD who has not taken action despite it being againdt the law and resident policy and school policy since it was in not only a shared space in the presence of minors but also in the room of a minor specifically? And is there anything else we can do to ensure our daughter doesnt have to move given the negligence to the law and policy by the school and their own mistake?

quincy

... The day classes start my daughter receives notice frm an RA that the upperclassman notified them that they were given the improper room and need to switch ...

... Now heres the issue at hand the upperclassman was storing alcohol technically in my daughters room even though this was already agaibst policy by having it in the suite given the rooming with minors ... The RD and RAs have both ignored this and stated my daughter is in contempt of policy given that shes not in the properly assigned room still and needs to move, not even allowing a grievance procedure to be ruled first. The other 3 roommates are having to move as well. Is NYU liable for breaking the NYS alcohol laws given that notice was given directly to an RD who has not taken action despite it being againdt the law and resident policy and school policy since it was in not only a shared space in the presence of minors but also in the room of a minor specifically? And is there anything else we can do to ensure our daughter doesnt have to move given the negligence to the law and policy by the school and their own mistake?
I do not see what the issue is. Your daughter can move into a room without upperclassmen. Problem solved, right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Okay currently my daughter attends NYU as a transfer it is her first year. She is placed on a transfer floor for students an upperclassmen was assigned to her suite due to being granted special permission by NYU to do so, she did so just for the extra rooming space. Now the current issue is we moved our daughter in on move in day, and the RAs gave us the key to the room in the suite and so forth, there was no demarcation of the room on the door. We move her in and the roommate of the person in question moves in without an issue and we talked and everything. The next day my daughters roomate and the other roomate moves in(upperclassmen). Nothing gets said negatively or anything about a mix up of rooms. The day classes start my daughter receives notice frm an RA that the upperclassman notified them that they were given the improper room and need to switch, without even talking to the girls, therefore me and my daughter meet with the Resident director who assures us it will all be corrected appropriately.

A week passes by and Friday after we leave at 5:06 we receive notice that she has to move out by the weekend and switch rooms and that the other suitemates besides her and her roommate have been given access and keys to the room before they even moved out! Now heres the issue at hand the upperclassman was storing alcohol technically in my daughters room even though this was already agaibst policy by having it in the suite given the rooming with minors. On top of that she knowingly started storing it in shared spaces. My daughter and her roommates strictly chose eachother due to religion playing in factor with the use of alcohol. The RD was notified and took no action or comment, the next day the alcohol was moved to the shared freezer even after the meeting with the RD with the roommate in question present who was aware what she was doing was against policy. 3 of the 4 roommates asked for a meeting with the RD only to get told the upperclassmen was going to be shown other places or she was going to be moving into that room no matter what. Mind you classes are in their 3rd week and we flew from LA to NYC to handle this only to have NYU allowing the endangerment of the welfare of a child and since the alcohol is technically in the room unlawful posession of alcohol. The RD and RAs have both ignored this and stated my daughter is in contempt of policy given that shes not in the properly assigned room still and needs to move, not even allowing a grievance procedure to be ruled first. The other 3 roommates are having to move as well. Is NYU liable for breaking the NYS alcohol laws given that notice was given directly to an RD who has not taken action despite it being againdt the law and resident policy and school policy since it was in not only a shared space in the presence of minors but also in the room of a minor specifically? And is there anything else we can do to ensure our daughter doesnt have to move given the negligence to the law and policy by the school and their own mistake?
There was beer (wine, whatever) in the fridge where a minor resided (as happens in millions of places in the state of NY as well as across this great nation of ours,) and they fixed your concern over it. Do you not trust your daughter? How old is your daughter? Maybe you're not explaining yourself completely, or may be I lost it in the mix somewhere. In any case, what do you wish to happen?

kcbonnell

It hasn't solely been her, 2 of the other roomates who are all underclassmen have voiced concerns over the issue and made it aware to the RD multiple times as well as the supervisor of the RD. Theyd have to move all 3(which they dont have the room for) or move the upperclassmen(who was given options but didnt like them) The upperclassmen is breaking policy and law regading it to my knowledge and the school hasnt done anything regarding the situation. They wanted them to switch rooms in the suite, not the suite itself, which still wouldnt correct matters for this situation, otherwise thats what I'd have done but the 3 are content being roommates and dont want to be uprooted for one roommate who wouldnt have been on the floor to begin with, without express permission by the uni to apply for it. All 3 of the girls have already sent emails and had meetings regarding it and everything but now that the 4th is throwing parties in the room and leaving alcohol around as well as having it stored in NYUs words"my daughters assigned room" not hers then it becomes an issue to me. This would be easily solved moving the upperclassmen.

kcbonnell

And they havent corrected the situation its been well over a week since being aware and saying itd be handled and the alcohol is still just sitting around. Their resolution regarded swapping rooms in the suite, not the alcohol or anything else.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It hasn't solely been her, 2 of the other roomates who are all underclassmen have voiced concerns over the issue and made it aware to the RD multiple times as well as the supervisor of the RD. Theyd have to move all 3(which they dont have the room for) or move the upperclassmen(who was given options but didnt like them) The upperclassmen is breaking policy and law regading it to my knowledge and the school hasnt done anything regarding the situation. They wanted them to switch rooms in the suite, not the suite itself, which still wouldnt correct matters for this situation, otherwise thats what I'd have done but the 3 are content being roommates and dont want to be uprooted for one roommate who wouldnt have been on the floor to begin with, without express permission by the uni to apply for it. All 3 of the girls have already sent emails and had meetings regarding it and everything but now that the 4th is throwing parties in the room and leaving alcohol around as well as having it stored in NYUs words"my daughters assigned room" not hers then it becomes an issue to me. This would be easily solved moving the upperclassmen.
How old is your daughter?

kcbonnell

Basically im trying to see if theres anything i could do to prevent them from forcing the swap of rooms in the suite, since the upperclassmen has already violated policy and law . And since NYU gave explicit permission to this girl as well as allowed her to break the laws and policy with their knowledge is there anythinf I can do as a parent to either supercede the department or actions to take against the department/school?

quincy

And they havent corrected the situation its been well over a week since being aware and saying itd be handled and the alcohol is still just sitting around. Their resolution regarded swapping rooms in the suite, not the alcohol or anything else.
I understand your concern but it appears that the college is doing what it can to move students around to satisfy this concern.

You mention that your daughter is a transfer student. Are the objections to the alcohol strictly religious ones, or is your daughter under the age of 21?

quincy

Sorry. I am having problems editing my posts.

Thank you for providing the ages of the students.

It is legal for the 23-year-olds to be in possession of, and to drink, alcohol. Having the younger students, who are not allowed to be in possession of or drink alcohol, live in a room separate from the older students is obviously the best solution.

Who moves where is not the question you should be concerning yourself with - as long as a move is made. And it appears that the college is working to make that happen.

Your daughter is going to be facing more challenges than this in her college years. There will be parties she will attend and the parties will often have alcohol. The way you allow your daughter to deal with the switching of rooms can be an indicator of how she learns to handle the rest of what she encounters as a college student.

Considering taking legal action against the school because you don't think your daughter should have to switch rooms seems to me to be a bit silly.

Good luck.

LdiJ

I understand your concern but it appears that the college is doing what it can to move students around to satisfy this concern.

You mention that your daughter is a transfer student. Are the objections to the alcohol strictly religious ones, or is your daughter under the age of 21?
Look at the post above yours. OP's daughter is 19.

I do think however that OP is being a bit helicopterish.

Just Blue

OP ADULT child is 19. She is in college. Yeah....OP is being helicopterish. Once my eldest entered University I stayed out of her ADULT matters. She was 17.

quincy

Thanks, LdiJ. I caught that after I submitted my earlier post.

I know that it can be hard for some parents to have their children move away, especially when the move is as far away as New York is from California (or Louisiana?). It can be a growing up process for the parents as well as the child (although I think my own parents were fully grown by the time I packed my bags and left ;)).

I do think that the concern about alcohol could be a legitimate one in that the daughter can potentially be charged with possession. But I also think that the college is working on the room-switch to separate those of legal drinking age from those who aren't.

Whatever the case, from what has been related so far, it does not sound like an issue that requires taking legal action against the school.

kcbonnell

The roomswap theyre doing would just move the upperclassmen to the room they wanted but still with one of the other under 21 roommates nothing is correcting that aspect and its religious for the 3, which is why on their housing app they requested non drinking for all 3 of them. I wasnt involved until I got told that she needed to move when we had to set alot of it up for her as we live in Cali. And that she didnt want to nor did the other 2 roommates. Basically the upperclassmen is roomed with an underclass whos now friends with my daughter and her roommate. Those 3 are underage, NYU policy stated no alcohol is allowed in any room not even just shared room with the underclassmen given their age, they are all 3 underage to drink. The move was just to move rooms between the pairs, no correction in that aspect but the upperclassmens roommate did not want to move nor did my daughter and her roommates want to move theirs. Now nothing would be solved by doing this regarding the room or the alcohol as the upperclassmen would still be living in their dorm and in the room with one of them, the easiest way would be to move them but the school wont move all 3 and it wont move the one because she doesnt want to move rooms due to them not being adequate in her wants. But NYU hasnt done anything in regards to the alcohol as it remains sitting on the counter as we speak after a week of discussion and bringing it up daily.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">