• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bare with me... Long grueling process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KariKin

This letter to a lawyer shows some of the steps I have taken starting in the year of 2009.

3 years ago (2007) I wanted to continue my education through an online college, The Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

After a year , I contacted my advisor expressing my concerns in this course, not happy with the direction I was going and found that none of my courses touched base with what I had inquired about. I was told that I should continue with my education, more courses were coming in the future to help advance me. So, I "stuck it out" and another year goes by, the only time I have had a chance to work with Photoshop was making very low key graphics. Courses are 6 weeks, first 4 weeks, you answer discussion questions and draw. For your final project, you MIGHT, if you’re lucky, be able to complete a real graphic.

I again, contacted my advisor told him I was not happy with where my education is going, and once again, I was told that my future courses will, indeed, REALLY get heavy into graphics. I stick it out and within this time frame I had attempted a total of 24 courses in which they involved painting self-portraits, perspective drawings, and other drawing areas.

Frustrated, I withdrew myself from the college completely. I had contacted the college President, asked for refund due to not receiving the type of education I had inquired about 3 times in the past. I explained to them that I was paying for an online education that has given me no hopes in regards to what I wanted out of my schooling.

I received a letter from the President of the college stating that they are not going to grant me the refund, because going to this college was my choice and staying enrolled was my "choice". It may have been a choice at the time, but that’s because I was told to try to continue my education by my advisor, The letter I received from President Pry justifies everything I had expressed my concerns about. He writes about the times I did contact them, he writes about my advisor telling me about the courses and why I need to “stick it out”. He told me that I had access to the student handbook the entire time, which, when you see various scheduled titled "Illustrator", you would think that the program teaches you how to use Adobe Illustrator, when in fact, I was literally drawing for the first 4 weeks of the course, using a scanner and uploading my DRAWINGS.
As you can see in this link: Graphic Design Degree (Online Bachelor's) | The Art Institute Of Pittsburgh Online Division
They state that they teach you the tools needed to learn Electronic Imaging and Production: I drew with a pencil on a piece of paper, how is this electronic, other than using my scanner to upload them?

I had also contacted the BBB and Dep of labor, to receive no help; other than them mediating between myself and a girl named Jenna from AI; my final letter from Jenna states

"I have read your latest concerns about your dissatisfaction with your enrollment at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division in which you state that the information you received about the program was not consistent with your goals and interests. However, you have not provided any detailed information about this discrepancy. Therefore, I reviewed your academic file to determine if any discrepancies were evident.

At the time of your enrollment, you had access to and were directed to the college catalog that provides detailed information about all programs of study and the courses required for graduation. The Associate of Science degree in Graphic Design requires foundational courses, major courses, and general education courses to satisfy degree requirements. This balance aligns with the philosophy of the program that graphic design skills are built from a foundation of color, drawing and perspective skills to advanced skills in design.

Based on the notes in your file, in September, 2008 you contacted your academic advisor regarding questions about the program and your difficulty with and dislike of the drawing courses. You had a conversation with your advisor following which you continued to enroll in courses. Details of the conversation are not available; however, it would appear that you received the information you required to make an informed decision to continue in the program. A short time later you contacted your advisor again regarding computer difficulties in conjunction with the required software necessary for the design courses. You then contacted your advisor in October 2009 at which time you indicated your desire to withdraw due the program not meeting your goals and interests.

From this documentation, it appears you did have the information to make an informed decision about your enrollment in subsequent courses. As such, there remains no justification for any adjustments. Should you have documentation to indicate otherwise, I will be glad to review it."

I was extremely frustrated to read this so I responded with:

"What kind of detail do you want? I can't get the phone conversations, and other than that I have been trying to give as much detail as I can.
I have contacted President Pry in the past, explaining in detail my dissatisfaction, I have contacted Stephen B***r, I have contacted Jeff H****r, I have every e-mail on file out there, ironically enough 90% of the time everyone wanted to discuss matters over the phone, leaving hardly any leeway into what was being actually discussed. As a matter of fact when looking over past e-mails Stephen B***r sent you the letter I typed to Mr. Pry on Feb 28th of 2009, in which in that case you were supposed to contact me upon the concerns and issues I had back then!
Adam B***s specified to me on the phone about how you guys have one of the best schools around and that you pride yourself with your graphic design program. Most colleges do. I told him, I can't draw, I'm horrible artist, he did say "you may have a FEW drawing classes, however, we do get pretty graphically intense". A few, I could handle a few, not "73" credits worth, and as many as I took on. With this, when you have a class called Illustration, kind of gets someone excited, perhaps to learn illustrator, it even said in your "catalog" that it would teach electronic design, yep, my pencil and piece of paper must have been the new "computer", for "electronic design."
What humors me, is, when I took my illustrator course, and couldn't afford illustrator because Carrie B***d misinformed me to "set aside around 100 dollars a month for books", I didn't know most of my books AND software would cost me well over 400 dollars, and my books per month went over her "100" advice. I couldn't afford Illustrator at the time, and had previously used the trial for personal reasons, yet my instructor says "I'll accept your Photoshop work this time, but in the future, no more, I will only take Illustrator"; I still couldn't afford it, so I used Photoshop anyway, and he couldn't tell the difference. I got an A on every single one of them. Wouldn't you think one of your instructors should have had an eye for that? By the way, that class consisted of first few weeks drawing, then about 3 weeks, creating different kinds of apples.
Color theory, sounds interesting, not really... I re-learned Pre-school color wheel all over again.

My September complaint to my advisor consisted of a Phone Conversation that started out as "Wow, you hate drawing don't you Kari" "yes Jeff, I'm getting sick of it" "Well, unfortunately it is part of the course, but if you just hang in there, there are classes coming in the near future". I took my ADVISOR'S advice, what's the point of having one, if I don't listen to a word he says? Should I have said "I'm sorry Jeff, but you're a horrible advisor and I'm not listening to you?" No, I took his advice and hung in there to only go into more drawing courses over the next few semesters. In my final e-mail farewell to him, this was his response, check out the underlined lettering, and how you so delicately stated that I was "given the correct information to create an informed decision." :

Due to 10k character length, I have removed the letter from Jeff here

What can I say Jeffery was just doing his job, he tried to get me to stay in school above all else, stupidly on MY end, most conversations were Phone conversations, which can't be documented, unless I call every phone company and see if they keep phone conversations on file.

Jenna, the only "detail" I can give you are the previous e-mails about me e-mailing every single time I was not satisfied, with a "call me on the phone" response every single time. What I was told and what I "learned" were two completely different things.

I'm not asking for a hand out, I stuck with a college that accidentally screwed up my ENTIRE Schedule actually making me change my major, but I knew it would benefit me, don't believe me? Contact Olean Business Institute, ask them how badly my schedule was screwed up, nothing could have fixed it to keep my current major, so I literally had to switch majors; but the education was worth it and I knew it would benefit me, I wouldn't stay with a school if it wouldn't somehow benefit my education, therefore AI didn't meet those requirements.

It's an endless cycle with AI, and I'm curious why it took this long to even review my file for any discrepancies?
My frustration may have gotten the best of me throughout my response, but when it takes 3 years to go back into my file to view any discrepancies that may have occurred during my attendance is a bit aggravating, that should have been the first thing discussed during my FIRST initial dissatisfaction with AI."

I have approximately 4 years of documentation.....
if you read all of this, THANK YOU...
do I have a case against them?

KariKin

No, I really do understand it's long; however, instead of repeating myself throughout any questions anyone may ask, or to save a lot of "time" throughout the rest of the posts; all of the steps, responses and actions that took place is basically all laid out in one "long" summary... Believe me, it's a long read and like I said, if anyone does actually read it all it is greatly appreciated :)

Silverplum

For instance -- I just grabbed a chunk of text that I felt I could answer due to some professional familiarity with your subject:

You wrote:
Adam B***s specified to me on the phone about how you guys have one of the best schools around and that you pride yourself with your graphic design program. Most colleges do. I told him, I can't draw, I'm horrible artist, he did say "you may have a FEW drawing classes, however, we do get pretty graphically intense". A few, I could handle a few, not "73" credits worth, and as many as I took on. With this, when you have a class called Illustration, kind of gets someone excited, perhaps to learn illustrator, it even said in your "catalog" that it would teach electronic design, yep, my pencil and piece of paper must have been the new "computer", for "electronic design."
What humors me, is, when I took my illustrator course, and couldn't afford illustrator because Carrie B***d misinformed me to "set aside around 100 dollars a month for books", I didn't know most of my books AND software would cost me well over 400 dollars, and my books per month went over her "100" advice. I couldn't afford Illustrator at the time, and had previously used the trial for personal reasons, yet my instructor says "I'll accept your Photoshop work this time, but in the future, no more, I will only take Illustrator"; I still couldn't afford it, so I used Photoshop anyway, and he couldn't tell the difference. I got an A on every single one of them. Wouldn't you think one of your instructors should have had an eye for that? By the way, that class consisted of first few weeks drawing, then about 3 weeks, creating different kinds of apples.
Color theory, sounds interesting, not really... I re-learned Pre-school color wheel all over again."

None of that is relevant. None of it is anyone's problem but yours.

It's not at all hard to google up some book prices in advance. It's not hard at all to google up some software prices in advance. It's the student's responsibility, not anyone else's. Not even if somebody "told" you differently.

You specifically stated that you can't draw -- but your Illustrator/Photoshop example specifically states that you drew...created apples...what's THAT? :rolleyes:

If you didn't find a class "interesting," that's not actionable. That's what students call, "a bummer."

Nobody is going to go thru your whole mega-post. But I thought I'd give you some examples of what I think is "wrong" with just a paragraph or two.

KariKin

Guess I wasted my time giving a paragraph's worth of my attention.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
lol no, you just misinterpreted what I was saying, it's good to see it can be misinterpreted though, maybe that's how Jenna understood it. I read it to a few people and they understood what I meant, but sometimes reading what's written and actually having it read to you can result in a different interpretation.

Color theory, sounds interesting, not really... I re-learned Pre-school color wheel all over again."

When I talked about not being able to draw, I was informed that I really wouldn't have to; I'd have a few classes that were drawing, but not as many as I took. I didn't draw the apples, this was one of the few classes that allowed me to create a gfx on the computer; but the point I tried to make here was, at the time I couldn't afford Illustrator (or the Adobe Creative Suite collection), all I had was Photoshop; however my instructor told me he'd take a Photoshop submission 1 time but after that he wouldn't accept them anymore. However, I still didn't have Illustrator, so I submitted Photoshop images anyway and he couldn't tell the difference; which IMO, was a bit off for an instructor, I know low-key gfx artists that can tell the difference between PS and Illustrator.

And as far as the class not being interesting, you're right, that probably should have been reworded; because basically, Color Theory in the Course Catalog description was completely different than we actually did in the class (basically re-learning pre-k color wheel).

Again, it's probably good that you interpreted it differently than it was written, it's enjoyable seeing different perspectives based upon interpretation as far as legal advice goes. Let's me know how someone else may take it, rather than the way it's intended.:)

Silverplum

lol no, you just misinterpreted what I was saying,
No.
I meant, your little quote-marks around the word "help." Being rude to the volunteers.

We're NOT going to read your epic post.

Go hire an attorney and waste hours and hours and hours talking and talking and talking.

KariKin

I posted under my thanks for the "help" post to answer your question, meaning when I posted that, I didn't see what you typed, then; I noticed it when you pointed out and responded to you.

Telling me "I couldn't bare to reed it".. really wasn't helpful, but that's why I laughed and thanked for the "help".. like I said, it wasn't meant to be offensive, thus why "lol" was in there.

If I would have said "Wow douchebag, thanks for not helping me with your idiotic replies that have no relavance to what I'm asking!" then I could understand taking offense. However, that would have been uncalled for, considering they were really just saying they weren't going to read it; which is fine by me, I didn't take offense to them stating their opinion. Nothing wrong with having an opinion.

Humusluvr

I read the whole thing.

Basically, what it seems to boil down to is - you wanted to focus on one program. The entire degree plan was something different than you expected. They started you a lot more basic than you expected.

Your advisor told you to hang in there. And that's what advisors do - push you to graduate.

I would finish your degree if you only have a few more classes. Teach yourself what you want to know by buying a book or the graphic program you want. Youtube has taught me a lot.

And it does suck, but you could have pulled out at any point. You did get what you paid for, and perhaps did not ask enough questions along the way. I don't think the college owes you a refund - so I would stick it out. Or quit all together.

It stinks, but you were paying for a service that you did get. I wanted to be a vet in college - I had to take all the intro and gen ed courses on my way to getting to be a vet. And I never became a vet, but I did get an undergrad, masters, and PhD, and have a happy life. You will too. Sometimes you can't connect the dots looking forward, but looking back, life becomes what you make of it.

KariKin

Sorry, all the basic, general credits transferred from my previous college.
Trust me, I asked plenty of questions along the way.
Thanks though! :)

Humusluvr

Sorry, all the basic, general credits transferred from my previous college.
Trust me, I asked plenty of questions along the way.
Thanks though! :)
I'm sure you did ask a lot of questions. And you relied on the advice of your advisor, who ultimately steered you in the wrong direction.

I hear that a lot from students. "My advisor did this," or "my advisor didn't tell me that!" And how could students know that their advisor is steering them in the wrong direction, unless the student does a lot of extra legwork to understand the program. And that is part of the problem with advisors. They know how to GENERALLY steer students, but they can't read the mind of each individual student.

When I was working on my PhD, my advisor told me NOTHING. I thought it was because he was an a-hole, and so I learned everything about my program by talking to other students, researching on my own, reading every part of the website, and putting my classes into my own excel spreadsheet so I knew which semester was what class and when and what it counted for. I read all the course descriptions, and did all the planning on my own.

Ultimately, by taking charge of my education, I owned what I did. Nobody did anything for me, I did it for myself. And that was a lesson that was so hard, but ultimately paid off.

Good luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">