• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Berkeley college debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clopez74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny

I recieved my Associate Degree from Berkeley College in 2007. I was in debt for 32,000.00. I have tried to pay back and when I couldn't I put my loans on deferment. I am doing good with my loans paying little when I can. I then get a call a couple of months back from a collection agency saying I owed Berkeley so I asked what I owed since I was taking care of everything as best I could but I couldnt find any information pertaining to the debt they were talking about so the collection agency told me to call Berkeley. I did and they told me that I owed them for classes taken after 2007. Which make no sense since I had already had my degree. I printed out my credit history and there was 10,000.00 more on my Sallie Mae loans added for 2008,2009 and even 2010. I went to the school and they said they will research but havent been much help which totally expected since it was their error. After several emails and calls Financial Aid said they had proof in the form of grades ?!? I found out that they kept my original signature from my initial loans from my Associated Degree and just kept resubmitting it without my consent. Which I don't understand since when I attended the college you HAD TO talk to an advisor and log on to Blackboard. Neither were done so how can they process this? To make matters worst there is almost 4,000.00 that was send to Berkeley Blue card that I NEVER saw nor used.(its the left over from the loans for books and what-not gets direct deposit in to a card account)Please help any input is very appreciated.

Last edited:

Humusluvr

Sounds like you need to be talking to the police and to AES about the identity theft.
I agree. Start by writing out what you DID get, and then identifying what was obtained that you did not authorize. Make your document clear and just include "the facts."

First, I would try to straighten it out through Berkeley. There may even be a police force on campus that could take the identity theft issue. If they can't handle things, call your local police, and ask to speak to the fraud unit through Sallie Mae or your loan company.

That stinks!

ecmst12

Something weird is definitely going on. The loans would not have been dispursed if there wasn't proof of the recipient being enrolled in the requisite number of credits to qualify for the loans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">