• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Bows Considered a Weapon For Schools?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbs21

I live in Florida, and was thinking of trying to start an archery club at my local school. I looked up the FL statutes about what you aren't allowed to bring on school grounds, it said "weapons". I looked up the definition for weapons and it is as follows: "'Weapon' means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.". Would bows fall under the umbrella term of "deadly weapon"? It should be noted that I would only have target arrows, arrows that are not sharp, but rather, have a curved tip with no blades on them at all. Of course, I'd check with the school administration before doing anything, but I'd like to make sure it's legal before attempting to start the club.

quincy

I live in Florida, and was thinking of trying to start an archery club at my local school ... Would bows fall under the umbrella term of "deadly weapon"? ... Of course, I'd check with the school administration before doing anything, but I'd like to make sure it's legal before attempting to start the club.
A "bow" would not fall under the umbrella term of "deadly weapon." The arrows, on the other hand, could.

Here is a link to Florida's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website with information on Florida's "Archery in the Schools Program:" http://myfwc.com/education/outdoor-skills/archery/

Your plan to check with your school administrators to see if you can start an archery club at your local school is a good one.

Good luck.

CdwJava

When I was in school (the dark ages ... the 70s), Archery was a program in high school P.E. I suspect that if the bows are kept ON campus or stored and transported in some other approved method, it shouldn't be a problem.

quincy

The administration is sure to object to this.
Why do you think so, xylene?

Florida schools have already partnered with Florida's FWCC to bring archery programs to the schools in Florida. I think that, with a properly-trained teacher willing to supervise the club (and all after-school clubs need teacher-supervision), the school administrators are likely to support lbs21's idea for an archery club. The bows and arrows and targets can be stored at the school.

Here is information on Archery Safety from the same link provided above: http://myfwc.com/education/outdoor-skills/archery/safety/

FlyingRon

There's one thing to have the school sanction an archery club and maintain control of the bows and arrows and a student carrying one on their own.
We do both in class and after school activities with knives but if you got caught with one outside the supervision of the teacher, you'd be expelled.

Those involved should have a direct discussion with the school administration and work out under what circumstances such would be allowed.

lbs21

Thanks for all your help, guys! I'll try to contact my school admins and see if they allow it. Thanks again!

quincy

Thanks for all your help, guys! I'll try to contact my school admins and see if they allow it. Thanks again!
Good luck with your school administrators, lbs21.

And thank you for the thanks. We all appreciate them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">