• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an 18 year old Junior or Senior be kicked out of school without cause?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

Your parents can't 'kick you out'

They can ask you to move and legally evict you if you fail to do so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Define, without cause.

What did the kid do that the kid/parent says is without cause and the school says is cause?

Silverplum

I'd be amazed 'n' surprised if a hi-skool junior or senior was truly ~oh, so very truly~ kicked out of school without any cause.

;)

On the other hand, if a kid that age just up and accepted responsibility for whatever s/he did to be bounced: I'd also be amazed 'n' surprised.

:cool:

Maestro Maestro

No cause.

The principle is trying to reduce numbers of students in need of Alternative ed. in advance of requesting a small schools waiver from the state for Alternative ed.

The Kids I am refering to did nothing wrong accept that they are behind in school, one because she had a kid another because he was retained in 7th grade, etc.

This is not an expulsion. It is just "hey you are 18 and not in a position to graduate this year without Alternative ed. So bye bye.

Silverplum

No cause.

The principle is trying to reduce numbers of students in need of Alternative ed. in advance of requesting a small schools waiver from the state for Alternative ed.

The Kids I am refering to did nothing wrong accept that they are behind in school, one because she had a kid another because he was retained in 7th grade, etc.

This is not an expulsion. It is just "hey you are 18 and not in a position to graduate this year without Alternative ed. So bye bye.
Well, then.

Maestro Maestro

Funny that you are all so suspicious though. It is not one kid I am reffering to, it is several, and they did nothing wrong. The only thing they have in common is that they just turned 18 and are behind in school, in need of Alt. Ed. which the principle is trying to get rid of.

Silverplum

Funny that you are all so suspicious though.
Read your own posts, in order.

You were not exactly forthcoming with the info.

Maestro Maestro said:
It is not one kid I am reffering to, it is several, and they did nothing wrong. The only thing they have in common is that they just turned 18 and are behind in school, in need of Alt. Ed. which the principle is trying to get rid of.

LdiJ

How does this affect you?

And, what do you mean by "Alternative Ed"?
Alternative Ed is traditionally a separate program for students that are off track in regular high school and cannot graduate on time.

In my school system its available for students who need to work and cannot do a full school day. Its available for students with disciplinary problems. Its available for pregnant students or students with children that cannot do a full school day. Its also available for students that are far enough behind that they don't fit into traditional classrooms.

There have been quite a few news stories over the last few years, all across the country of school districts trying to reduce the number of alternative ed students in order to reduce costs. However most of them are trying to reintegrate some of the students back into traditional classes rather than just booting them out of school completely.

Maestro Maestro

How does this affect you?
I care about these kids and I think they are getting a bad deal by not being allowed to finish their public education just because the principle wants to lower the numbers of students in the district needing Alternative Ed in advance of requestiing a waiver. These kids are getting screwed out of a chance to finish their High School Education because of this numbers game, not anything they did.

Maestro Maestro

There have been quite a few news stories over the last few years, all across the country of school districts trying to reduce the number of alternative ed students in order to reduce costs. However most of them are trying to reintegrate some of the students back into traditional classes rather than just booting them out of school completely.
Ed Code says that districts with fewer than 100 seniors can request a waiver from having to provide alternative ed.

This principal is attempting to reduce the numbers of seniors and juniors (next years seniors) by showing the door to anyone who is 18.

Can anyone answer my question? Is that legal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">