• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can child receive speech therapy in home district and be enrolled in another district

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yappit

What is the name of your state? California

Question: At an IEP meeting at my local public school, near the end of this month, I intend to notify them that I will be enrolling my child in "another program" . I then will ask them permission to let my child continue to receive his related service of speech therapy 2-3 times per week within the current district and school. If they approve this request and put it in writing in the IEP I will be thrilled. HOWEVER, I AM CONSIDERING ENROLLING MY CHILD IN A PUBLIC INDEPENDENT STUDY PROGRAM IN AN ADJACENT DISTRICT. Is it possible for a child to receive a "related service" such as speech therapy at her home district, yet actually intradistrict transfer and enroll in another district in a home/study public funded public independent study program?? (The "other" public independent study program cannot provide the speech service) I am not under obligation to inform them where or what I will be enrolling my child in.

I had one Public ISP THINK that it could not be done. I have the opportunity to register my child in a private independent study program as well. Please reply as to the above detailed question regarding services/enrollemnt in another districts program??

rmet4nzkx

Sierraqueen said:
What is the name of your state? California

Question: At an IEP meeting at my local public school, near the end of this month, I intend to notify them that I will be enrolling my child in "another program" . I then will ask them permission to let my child continue to receive his related service of speech therapy 2-3 times per week within the current district and school. If they approve this request and put it in writing in the IEP I will be thrilled. HOWEVER, I AM CONSIDERING ENROLLING MY CHILD IN A PUBLIC INDEPENDENT STUDY PROGRAM IN AN ADJACENT DISTRICT. Is it possible for a child to receive a "related service" such as speech therapy at her home district, yet actually intradistrict transfer and enroll in another district in a home/study public funded public independent study program?? (The "other" public independent study program cannot provide the speech service) I am not under obligation to inform them where or what I will be enrolling my child in.

I had one Public ISP THINK that it could not be done. I have the opportunity to register my child in a private independent study program as well. Please reply as to the above detailed question regarding services/enrollemnt in another districts program??
Why would your school district pay for speach therapy when the are losing funds to another district with an interdistrict transfer to do home schooling? Why can't you do home schooling in your own district? What is the nature of your child's communication disorder? Does your child receive services from the Regional center? Have you contacted PAI?

Yappit

California:

Thats a good point. However, there is no public independent study program in my current district. Only adjacent districts. Kids diagnosis is mild autism with severe speech delay. Contacted LACY today and waiting for reply as well. I am thinking more and more to just enroll him in a private ISP, no interdistrict transfer mess (which has to be renewed and reapplied for each and every year!) After, some children who go to private schools get related services through their local district. Thanks for your reply.

rmet4nzkx

Keep in contact with the regional center and PAI if you have problems, with all the funding cutbacks you have to fight for everything. It is probably better to keep your child closer to home and greater opportunity of social contact and don't forget to get respite care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">