• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a college charge you for classes you could not physically take

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leam29

Hi my name is leam29 and I am wondering if this college that I no longer attend can charge me for a class that I could not take because they never provided me with a course ID number to complete the assignments

I started the class as an online course and for the 1st week we were to complete 2 forums one that ask "whats your name" and one that ask "why you are taking the class" the other forum was just for questions, also, we were to complete reading 6 chapters and some online assessments and assignments after each chapter. While trying to get into the section where I was to complete the assessment and assignments it stated that i either had to pay a fee to access (which it should have been fee per my advisors) or provide the Course ID. I looked all over the website for the course ID but could not find it but in my professors "Bio" it stated that she should provide it. So I sent her and email to request and she stated that I had to go thru Tech to obtain...long story tech tried to get me access but they couldn't and referred me back to my professor and she then never responded to my emails. After several attempts to obtain the course ID, the academics advisers (several of them) and student finance told me that at this point I should drop the class as by the time they obtain the course ID that could take up to 2 weeks I will then been in week 5 and would then need to catch up to complete the course with a passing grade and at that point may not be accomplished with a 8 week course and I will fail and be 100% responsible for that course and also losing my scholarship, but if I withdrawal now I would only be responsible for 25% which should be no more than 80$**************to get a final bill of $2,111 in which per Student Finance stated because I took 2 classes and there is no way for them to truly tell how much I paid for that one course it would be divided in half so $1055 for the 1 class that I was not able to take. Now I get the whole for online schools they can charge or bill by when you log in but why should they be able to charge if I only logged in because they told me to and the last time that I logged in was because i was posting to see if anybody else had the course ID so I can even take the class since my professor wouldnt respond...Is this legal? How can I even dispute as the Finance dept said that I cant dispute I just have to pay :( PLEASE HELP

OHRoadwarrior

This is an issue to take up with the "college". If that is unsuccessful, file a complaint with their states attorney general.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">