• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I asked for a refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

longs_peak2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I went to beauty school for 8 months and when I was ready to write my license exam, the state told me that I can not because I dont have SSN.

When I filled my registration forms at the school and the SSN portion came up, I told the director and the owner that I dont have SSN and they said that I can provide them with my ITIN and its suffice to meet the state and licensing requirements. They signed off on that and I put it in writing on the form that the number I was providing them with is ITIN.

When I told the school that State is not allowing me to write the exam because I dont have SSN, first they said that it must be something new because they are not aware of it.

I found out that a law was passed in 2006 and it should not be new to them, then they denied knowing that I did not have SSN when they had copied my original ITIN documentation and put on my file!

Now I am out of $6000, plus I spent 8 months where I provided services for their clients and did not get anything at the end. I think they should have disclosed this information to me before taking my money. I have no idea on when will I get SSN and I want my money back. Can I take them to small claims court for non-disclosure of the information and misleading me?

I have reported to the education authorities but they have limited jurisdiction and have advised me to go to small claims court.

FOR ALL THOSE WHO WANTS TO ASSUME THAT I AM ILLEGAL, LET ME TELL YOU THAT I AM LEGAL HERE!!!!!ON A VALID H4 VISA!!!

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I went to beauty school for 8 months and when I was ready to write my license exam, the state told me that I can not because I dont have SSN.

When I filled my registration forms at the school and the SSN portion came up, I told the director and the owner that I dont have SSN and they said that I can provide them with my ITIN and its suffice to meet the state and licensing requirements. They signed off on that and I put it in writing on the form that the number I was providing them with is ITIN.

When I told the school that State is not allowing me to write the exam because I dont have SSN, first they said that it must be something new because they are not aware of it.

I found out that a law was passed in 2006 and it should not be new to them, then they denied knowing that I did not have SSN when they had copied my original ITIN documentation and put on my file!

Now I am out of $6000, plus I spent 8 months where I provided services for their clients and did not get anything at the end. I think they should have disclosed this information to me before taking my money. I have no idea on when will I get SSN and I want my money back. Can I take them to small claims court for non-disclosure of the information and misleading me?

I have reported to the education authorities but they have limited jurisdiction and have advised me to go to small claims court.

When you called the State licensing board to ask about their criteria before you signed up for school, what did they tell you?

longs_peak2011

I did not call the state before I started school, I relied on school to provide me with all the information. SSN is a major requirement to enroll at the school and they bypassed it for me to get my money without disclosing its importance. School advertises to prepare its students fully for the state board exams and have them ready and if they let a student in without the SSN, should not they tell them the outcomes?? There is a Student Bill of Rights. And when they sign off saying that I meet licensing requirements, isnt that false information and misleading?

And what use is the education if I can not be licensed. Its USELESS!

Last edited:

Antigone*

If you are not here legally, you cannot use legally means to see to recoup your loss. Had you been here legally you would not have this issue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A social security number is NOT required. Contact the state licensing board.

Have you filled out the following affidavit?

http://www.asisvcs.com/publications/pdf/200698.pdf

Proserpina

I did not call the state before I started school, I relied on school to provide me with all the information.

It was actually your responsibility to check licensing requirements before you enrolled.

SSN is a major requirement to enroll at the school and they bypassed it for me to get my money without disclosing its importance. School advertises to prepare its students fully for the state board exams and have them ready and if they let a student in without the SSN, should not they tell them the outcomes??

Prepare.

Not "will guarantee a particular outcome".

There is a Student Bill of Rights. And when they sign off saying that I meet licensing requirements, isnt that false information and misleading?

And what use is the education if I can not be licensed. Its USELESS!

Caveat Emptor, I'm afraid.

I'm sorry - I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but you also had a duty to practice due diligence.

I'm going to disagree with Tigi on one part - one does not need to be a legal resident in order to utilize the justice system. The issue here is that the school made no guarantee of licensing, and OP didn't check with the State first before enrolling.

But even if that wasn't the case, an H4 holder is not permitted to work anyway.

So it's moot ;)
:cool:

longs_peak2011

A social security number is NOT required. Contact the state licensing board.

Have you filled out the following affidavit?

http://www.asisvcs.com/publications/pdf/200698.pdf
Believe me, I have tried everything including contact State Board members. The application has a field for SSN and if there is no number there then the application is considered incomplete and wont be processed. This is the reply I got back from state after telling them that I am legal here, I would not be going through so much stress if they could have let me write the exam :(

""The application to sit for the examination is considered incomplete if there is no social security number entered on it. This requirement began in July 2006. This is when the Colorado Legislature passed House Bill 06S-1009, which requires the Division of Registrations to verify that an applicant for licensure be lawfully present in the United States and hold a valid Social Security number. ""

Zigner

Believe me, I have tried everything including contact State Board members. The application has a field for SSN and if there is no number there then the application is considered incomplete and wont be processed. This is the reply I got back from state after telling them that I am legal here, I would not be going through so much stress if they could have let me write the exam :(

""The application to sit for the examination is considered incomplete if there is no social security number entered on it. This requirement began in July 2006. This is when the Colorado Legislature passed House Bill 06S-1009, which requires the Division of Registrations to verify that an applicant for licensure be lawfully present in the United States and hold a valid Social Security number. ""
Here's the info *I* found:

Social Security Number is Required. Effective January 1, 2009, a Social Security Number is required for all licensees. The Division will consider an application to be incomplete when the applicant fails to submit his/her Social Security Number. Exceptions are made for foreign nationals not physically present in the United States and for non-immigrants in the United States on student visas who do not have a Social Security Number. These applicants must submit a signed Social Security Number Affidavit in lieu of a Social Security Number. You may call (303) 894-7800 to request that an affidavit be mailed to you.

Proserpina

Here's the info *I* found:

Social Security Number is Required. Effective January 1, 2009, a Social Security Number is required for all licensees. The Division will consider an application to be incomplete when the applicant fails to submit his/her Social Security Number. Exceptions are made for foreign nationals not physically present in the United States and for non-immigrants in the United States on student visas who do not have a Social Security Number. These applicants must submit a signed Social Security Number Affidavit in lieu of a Social Security Number. You may call (303) 894-7800 to request that an affidavit be mailed to you.

Zig, OP is on an H4 visa - that's not a student visa (even though OP is studying), so s/he doesn't qualify in either category.

Plus..I'm not sure whether or not s/he realizes this, but s/he can't work anyway. An 8 month course at beauty school isn't likely going to meet the H1b requirements, either.

Zigner

Zig, OP is on an H4 visa - that's not a student visa (even though OP is studying), so s/he doesn't qualify in either category.

Plus..I'm not sure whether or not s/he realizes this, but s/he can't work anyway. An 8 month course at beauty school isn't likely going to meet the H1b requirements, either.

Of course, you're right. I suspect the problem isn't the lack of the social security number, rather, it's the lack of authorization to work.

longs_peak2011

Oh I know that, I did this course so that I could benefit it by taking care of my own skin and buying products at wholesale. I am way very educated person, I did this just to get my license. I could get h1-b for my IT degree, as I said before please dont judge.

Proserpina

Oh I know that, I did this course so that I could benefit it by taking care of my own skin and buying products at wholesale. I am way very educated person, I did this just to get my license. I could get h1-b for my IT degree, as I said before please dont judge.

Where were you judged?

:confused:

Jeez.

Zigner

Not JUDGING. Pointing out facts. You came on here telling us that the number was mandatory, and you have been shown it is NOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">