• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be denied acceptance into a college program when they gave me the wrong info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristin6727

I have been attending my local college for 5 semesters. I am working towards the nursing program. I applied for the Spring semester. I did not receive my acceptance letter and when I called to find out why, they said I had to take the math placement test. No one every told me this! I was in last summer to talk to a counselor and they did not tell me. Also, a year ago they sent me a letter saying I had been waived from the math placement test. When I told them this they said this letter was sent to me in error. I don't believe that is my fault though. They made the mistake. I would have taken that test if I knew I had to. Now they say to take the test and I can get into the next semester, which is 7 months later! I can take this test in 2 weeks and the semester does not start till January. I think they would have to accept me, or accept me without the test because they sent me that letter. Is this legal?

Banned_Princess

I have been attending my local college for 5 semesters. I am working towards the nursing program. I applied for the Spring semester. I did not receive my acceptance letter and when I called to find out why, they said I had to take the math placement test. No one every told me this! I was in last summer to talk to a counselor and they did not tell me. Also, a year ago they sent me a letter saying I had been waived from the math placement test. When I told them this they said this letter was sent to me in error. I don't believe that is my fault though. They made the mistake. I would have taken that test if I knew I had to. Now they say to take the test and I can get into the next semester, which is 7 months later! I can take this test in 2 weeks and the semester does not start till January. I think they would have to accept me, or accept me without the test because they sent me that letter. Is this legal?
What local would that be dear?

you are 5 semesters into college and you cant follow directions on a forum?

we ask ""WHAT STATE (U.S LAW ONLY)"". you as a college student, should know how to answer that.

ecmst12

No, they do not have to accept you if you did not take the test in time to register and be admitted into next semester's program. It's possible that January's class is already full. There are no circumstances where they would be required to admit you when you haven't met the requirements or deadlines or there is no space.

xylene

No, they do not have to accept you if you did not take the test in time to register and be admitted into next semester's program. It's possible that January's class is already full. There are no circumstances where they would be required to admit you when you haven't met the requirements or deadlines or there is no space.
Actually, they may be required to admit the poster, conditional on successfully completing the test as soon as possible, or as a requisite for the next semester.

Their error, ongoing for several semesters, along with the written waiver puts the poster in a strong position to demand exactly that.

The poster should speak to the college ombudsman and the office of the president as soon as possible.

Classing being full is a red herring, only you have brought that up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, they may be required to admit the poster, conditional on successfully completing the test as soon as possible, or as a requisite for the next semester.

Their error, ongoing for several semesters, along with the written waiver puts the poster in a strong position to demand exactly that.

The poster should speak to the college ombudsman and the office of the president as soon as possible.

Classing being full is a red herring, only you have brought that up.
Feel free to cite the law that would force them to place the OP in the classes in January.

You Are Guilty

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Do you still have a copy of the "wrong" waiver letter from the school? Everything which follows will hinge on that.

csi7

I agree, if you have the waiver letter, and the program acceptance letter, and you follow the path to report the issue, you may be able to take the test, pass it, and attend the classes as scheduled.

ecmst12

Of course, if you received a waiver letter saying you passed a test that you never took, you absolutely should have KNOWN something was wrong.

The math requirement can't be met until you take the test.

Also, most nursing programs don't start in the spring, you can only start in the fall.

Last edited:

xylene

Of course, if you received a waiver letter saying you passed a test that you never took, you absolutely should have KNOWN something was wrong.
A waiver does not indicate a requirement is passed. It indicates it is waived - ie selectively not required.

zigner said:
Feel free to cite the law that would force them to place the OP in the classes in January.
There is no one single law that governs the operation of the NY Board of Regents. It is incredibly doubtful a police, a handgun or violence would be involved. You said forced, in italics. I said required. How far that went and what sanctions the school would face would depend on the posters initiative.

I know for certain administrators of academic programs cannot simply claim a mistake so easily, as though that annulled their written commitments.

This is why colleges and universities have ombudsman, and in NYS with its strong Board of Rgents system... that should certainly be the posters first stop before resigning themself to a substantial delay.

asiny

The math test is required by state law. It can't be "selectively not required".
If the OP can present that they meet the educational standards (i.e. in some form of prior math classes, test, courses, etc.) then the college CAN waive the test.
Although the college claims error sending out their letter waiving the OP of the test.
Either way, the college does not HAVE TO allow the OP access- even if the OP meet's their requirements. Other students, just as equally qualified, could be given the placements- what line do you use to separate placement?

Humusluvr

Please explain the bolded further.

If you knew you needed the test for admission, what reason did they give for it being waived? Do you think you took it already? Did you take something comparable?

Or was this truly a "Whoops, we totally screwed up on this one."

If they screwed up, I think you could argue (not force or require) that they should admit you, and that you will successfully pass the test the next time it is offered. You could argue (nicely) that you would have taken said test months ago had you known, but it truly was the school's error.

I don't think you would be able to say, "You said I was waived, I'm not taking it, and you owe me my darn admission." Not gonna happen. You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Use your nice words, and try to explain to them why you should be admitted, even without the test, yet.

But don't count on it. It may set you back a few months or a year, but this isn't the end of the world.

ecmst12

It's not a placement test. It's a math test for nursing and it's required before any student will be allowed to administer medications on their clinical rotations. It can't be waived or placed out of. EVERY nursing student must pass this test. They can pass it as part of a math class for nursing or they can just pass the test to skip the class but you can't get around the test.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">