• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I keep child in same school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chansincere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My family moved; less than 10 miles, putting us in another school district (same county). Out of area request form was denied, (given several different conflicting reasons). Child has been attending school for majority of education, honor roll, perfect attendance. Notified of school change three days prior to first day of school. According to board of Ed regs, superintendent makes ultimate decision and may grant out of area requests if child has been attending a school for majority of education, has hardships with before and after care, ect. Will legal representation benefit us or do we not have a choice in the public school matter?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My family moved; less than 10 miles, putting us in another school district (same county). Out of area request form was denied, (given several different conflicting reasons). Child has been attending school for majority of education, honor roll, perfect attendance. Notified of school change three days prior to first day of school. According to board of Ed regs, superintendent makes ultimate decision and may grant out of area requests if child has been attending a school for majority of education, has hardships with before and after care, ect. Will legal representation benefit us or do we not have a choice in the public school matter?
You really don't have a choice. File your appeal with the superintendent and see what happens.

If the school is so important to you, why the move?

Chansincere

District lines

First time home buyer, unaware of new district school lines, old school 5 miles away new school 14 miles away. Due to over population children are being sent to schools farther from home to accommodate. Continuity of education, teachers, etc is what's important to me. Thank u for advice will wait to see.
Other kids have been accommodated my minority child not so much.

Humusluvr

First time home buyer, unaware of new district school lines, old school 5 miles away new school 14 miles away. Due to over population children are being sent to schools farther from home to accommodate. Continuity of education, teachers, etc is what's important to me. Thank u for advice will wait to see.
Other kids have been accommodated my minority child not so much.
You are most likely going to be out of luck.

A lot of things changed after the whole Kelly Williams Bolar case (the one where the mom got sent to jail for 9 days for illegally enrolling her children in the wrong school district and lying about it.)

You could probably pay tuition. Ignorance of school district lines is not an excuse that would make your case.

File the appeal, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is denied. That stinks for you, but it is what is likely to happen. Funding schools is a tricky thing, and putting your child in an out-of-district school will not likely get them paid.

What grade is she in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">