• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue on the grounds of misleading information or whatever grounds I have at this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wesley1906

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington, DC

BELOW IS MY STORY...

My university has a program that accepts students to be placed on Capital Hill as congressional interns. This program that is listed on their website states that each applicant must register for a class called 'Judicial Process', in order to fulfill the roles as a intern. To include, meeting other eligibility criteria such as:

-Posses a 3.2 GPA on a 4.0 scale
-Have earned at least 60 credits towards a Bachelor's Degree
-Demonstrate a commitment to public service, and participate in a 15-20-hour per week internship
-Turned in application no later than July 1, 2012

Needless to say, I met all of these requirements except the last one. As a result, I contacted the Director of the department and asked if any exceptions can be made. The Director said yes, and in the end ultimately processed my application [August 21, 2012]

A week later [August 29, 2012] the Director of the department shot me an email stating how I've been approved, due to my credentials that made me a strong applicant. Within the next business day [August 30, 2012] I was told to participate in a mandatory luncheon to learn more information about the program, and also find which office I would be appointed to interning.

When the luncheon took place [August 31, 2012], the Director told me it would be who of me to quit my previous job, since I would start working within the next week [September 3, 2012] as a intern. However, this deal was reneged on their end due to last minute changes that were based on the matters of being enrolled in another class, that the program failed to mention. As a result, everything was put off until this situation could be rectified.

Seeing how this notice was after the registration period, I sought out to pursue the Dean of my department if they'd be willing to override me into the class that wasn't listed on the programs website. Nonetheless, the Dean said no based on the fact that the class would put me over the university's restricted 18-hour credit limit, seeing how I was already registered for 16 credit hours this semester. With that being said, I am now unemployed possessing no means to pay for my monthly rent, nor am I able to purchase food and pay my bills for the semester.

PS. When I contacted the Director of the program about how I am not liable for this along with explaining the loopholes, he pretty much gave me the cold shoulder and ridiculed my intelligence. Yet, he was the one that processed me into the program in the first place along with the other Director that handles students receiving academic credit upon completing the internship.

Is there any course of legal action I can take against the university? Because truth be told, this university has faced various legal issues in the past orchestrated by other students.

swalsh411

It was dumb of you to quit your job until you started the internship and were sure you liked it. What you should have done is asked your current job for a week off just making some vague reference to having more school committements that week.

Can you prove the directed suggested it would "be who of you" (the word is "behoove" by the way) to quit your current job before you started the internship?

ecmst12

How were you going to pay your bills if you GOT the internship? Is it a paid internship?

Did you try calling your previous employer as soon as you found out that the internship was not going to happen?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A university student thinks "behoove you" is spelled "be who of you"? :eek:
Sadly, this would not surprise me.

ETA.: Nor does it surprise me that this is someone who thinks s/he belongs on Capitol Hill. We get who we vote for. And their hangers on. Like this kid. How shocking that our country is going to hell.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">