• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for HIPPA violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ABA18

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
I am in Michigan
My son takes medication for ADHD and depression. One of his teachers did not like the way he was behaving in class and proceeded to tell the class that my son needed to take his medication because he could not behave with out it. since then my son has been teased and ridiculed constantly.
Can the teacher/school be sued for HIPPA violation or some thing

panzertanker

ABA18 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
I am in Michigan
My son takes medication for ADHD and depression. One of his teachers did not like the way he was behaving in class and proceeded to tell the class that my son needed to take his medication because he could not behave with out it. since then my son has been teased and ridiculed constantly.
Can the teacher/school be sued for HIPPA violation or some thing
Nope.

Talk to the principal about having the teacher reprimanded. But no HIPAA violation. Doesn't fall under the guidelines.

ABA18

?

I have an article about a man in Minnesota who was awarded $100,000 by the court for a similar incedent

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't know the circumstances in the article you read but neither teachers nor schools are subject to HIPAA.

panzertanker

ABA18 said:
I have an article about a man in Minnesota who was awarded $100,000 by the court for a similar incedent
Then why ask the question here?
If you already have a course of action in mind and have researched enough to have looked for articles regarding the same type incident....

As cbg states, HIPAA doesn't cover the school or teacher. Re-read the article. They were not awarded damages under HIPAA laws.

Ferpa

I believe that medical info when received by schools is covered by FERPA, not HIPPA. I think, at best, you have an OCR complaint, which will provide you relief, just not monetary. You also need to talk to the school because the teacher’s intent might not have been to harm, but instead, the teacher might have been trying to explain to the class the reason’s for your child’s behavior. It is easy to assume intended harm. This might not have been the teacher’s intent. I also have concerns about the message you are sending to you child; that our courts are a way to look for income because someone said something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">