• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my college?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariari26

Arizona

Hello,
I am trying to figure out if I should try to sue my college or forget about it. So far everyone I know has told me to sue. The issue is that it seems my college lied to me about what I was supposed to be learning under the program I am in (phlebotomy). When I went to speak to an advisor about the program, she showed me a paper and read word for word what I would be learning under this program. They have it in bold that I would be a full-scope level 3 phlebotomist. There is no other school that offers that so I decided to sign up that very day thinking it was a great program. Well, I am almost done with the program and I have not seen any level 3 training. Another student and I spoke to one of the phlebotomy instructors (new instructor) about it and she said that the school got it wrong. We are not being trained at a level 3 but at level 1. She has been a phlebotomist for over 15 years and has not even heard of a level 3 phlebotomist before. I feel like the school used false advertisement, intentionally or not, and I want to know if that is a good reason to sue the school. I dont feel it is right to have to pay for the whole program (12k) when I was not trained in everything that they promised. I feel lied to and that I have wasted my time. Would an attorney even consider a case like this? Do students even win? I will be getting my diploma soon so I wonder if I pursue this that they wont even give me a diploma. All of it just doesn't seem fair to me. Anyone have any advice? Thanks for your input. :)

swalsh411

So you didn't know enough about this career that you were paying all this money to pursue to know that a "level 3" didn't exist? And that fact that there was no other program that offered this supposed level of training didn't set off any alarms? It could have just been a typo.

If you are receiving an education in phlebotomy similar to what is offered at other schools I don't see how you're being wronged. You can't be taught or trained to be something that doesn't exist.

ariari26

I only knew what an entry level phlebotomist did. That I did research for and talked to both schools about. The admissions representative told me that this was beyond the basic skills of just drawing blood. That is why it said level 3. I am being told by the school that this is what they were going to be teaching. I guess I didnt think to question if what they said was true or not. Why would a school lie to your face like that? There are only two schools that teach phlebotomy here. I just figured they offered more extensive training like they showed on the paper. One of the things they said we would be trained for is arterial blood draws. I questioned that and they still said yes. We had no training in that at all. All we did was read a chapter on it and thats it! Other schools that teach entry level dont charge this much. I just feel that maybe I shouldn't have to be paying so much for something that normally costs less. The other program is 3 months and much cheaper. This one is 8 months and cost 12k. Even if it was a typo, she made it clear that is what they will be teaching and it is the reason I went to this school. Why would I pay 12k for something that takes 1-3 months to learn? That is what I am having an issue with.

ajkroy

The school where I teach offers a nine-week phlebotomy course for just over $300. That's one night a week for nine weeks. I have been a phlebotomist for over 10 years and have never heard of the levels you are describing.

HomeGuru

Arizona

Hello,
I am trying to figure out if I should try to sue my college or forget about it. So far everyone I know has told me to sue. The issue is that it seems my college lied to me about what I was supposed to be learning under the program I am in (phlebotomy). When I went to speak to an advisor about the program, she showed me a paper and read word for word what I would be learning under this program. They have it in bold that I would be a full-scope level 3 phlebotomist. There is no other school that offers that so I decided to sign up that very day thinking it was a great program. Well, I am almost done with the program and I have not seen any level 3 training. Another student and I spoke to one of the phlebotomy instructors (new instructor) about it and she said that the school got it wrong. We are not being trained at a level 3 but at level 1. She has been a phlebotomist for over 15 years and has not even heard of a level 3 phlebotomist before. I feel like the school used false advertisement, intentionally or not, and I want to know if that is a good reason to sue the school. I dont feel it is right to have to pay for the whole program (12k) when I was not trained in everything that they promised. I feel lied to and that I have wasted my time. Would an attorney even consider a case like this? Do students even win? I will be getting my diploma soon so I wonder if I pursue this that they wont even give me a diploma. All of it just doesn't seem fair to me. Anyone have any advice? Thanks for your input. :)
**A: of course you can sue.

Humusluvr

Arizona

Hello,
Do you have, in writing, a degree plan that says you will be receiving a "Level 3 Phlebotomy" degree?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Level 3" may very well be an internal designation...unique to the school.

Humusluvr

I have a paper that says I will be trained to be a full-scope level 3 phlebotomist.
What exactly does it say? Is it a degree plan? Does it list what you'll have as far as courses?

I see you have been looking around the internet for an answer to "Is there such thing as a level 3" and haven't gotten any answers. That should have been something you checked out.

Will you at least be a level 1 when you graduate?

I think you may have grounds, based on them promising you one thing, and you are not capable of receiving it because they aren't accredited to give something that doesn't exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">