• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my university for dropping me from a class I paid for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Julia.autumn

I attend a university in Louisiana for a Masters in Business Administration. I have only 5 classes before I am done with the program. They recently dropped me from a class which I had already paid for (I have the receipt) on claims that I didn't pay for it. I had a 96 in the class when they dropped me and are unwilling to put me back in the class because this was a glitch in the system that dropped me and the add/drop date has already passed (I was halfway through the semester). Is there anything I can do at this point? I'm currently pregnant and wanted to finish my degree before I give birth. This significantly stunts my intended graduation date past my due date, and how will I know this won't happen again?

tranquility

If the sole reason you were denied the class is you did not pay and you have a receipt for payment for the class, I cannot believe a college would not allow you to attend.

Have you used "all administrative remedies"?

Julia.autumn

I am currently in the process of emailing anyone and everyone I can get ahold of. This whole thing went down on Friday so trying to fix it over the weekend is stressful because no one wants to answer phone calls or emails when they aren't working. If I have exhausted all options and people to talk to, do I have a case then?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This whole thing went down on Friday
It would seem premature to be talking of suing anyone. On Tuesday, I would start with going to the registrar (in person), receipt in hand. Work your way up the chain to resolve the problem. Assuming you haven't been physically barred from attending classes (and I would find it difficult to believe that you have been), continue doing so in the meantime.

Glitches like this can be reversed. Spend today researching your university's policies and remedies. Know who to speak with in what order.

And for heavens sake - deal with it in person, not email, etc.

Julia.autumn

I am in the military currently stationed overseas so it is impossible for me to go to them in person (I don't think I would be approved emergency leave) I'm just hoping someone will answer my calls tomorrow. It's just so frustrating because it's a 6 week class and I've missed about half a week now.

tranquility

I am currently in the process of emailing anyone and everyone I can get ahold of. This whole thing went down on Friday so trying to fix it over the weekend is stressful because no one wants to answer phone calls or emails when they aren't working. If I have exhausted all options and people to talk to, do I have a case then?
Emails are almost assuredly NOT availing yourself of all administrative remedies. In your school catalog, there will be a process and procedure for how to challenge such decisions. You almost always have to go through all those steps before you have any real ability to sue for any of a number of reasons. (Related to whatever type of school you are attending.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">