• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my university for lying about requirements, forcing me to lose $10,000?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SecretName

I am currently in a dispute with my university (in Louisiana). They guaranteed me, in writing, acceptance to a particular study abroad program if I enrolled in an intensive summer program a few months before the study abroad program began and passed it.

Now the university is saying they will not let me into the study abroad program, despite me paying $10,000 to do the pre-program. Can I sue/ coerce my university into letting me into the study abroad program or giving me the $10,000 back (plus money for time and emotional distress lost)? Thank you for your time.

Silverplum

I am currently in a dispute with my university (in Louisiana). They guaranteed me, in writing, acceptance to a particular study abroad program if I enrolled in an intensive summer program a few months before the study abroad program began and passed it.

Now the university is saying they will not let me into the study abroad program, despite me paying $10,000 to do the pre-program. Can I sue/ coerce my university into letting me into the study abroad program or giving me the $10,000 back (plus money for time and emotional distress lost)? Thank you for your time.
Did you pass the pre-program?

quincy

Was it this intensive summer program that cost $10,000? Did you enroll in this program and did you pass it?

Why is the university saying you cannot be in the study abroad program?

quincy

Yes, yes, they are not saying
Well, I would insist on an answer from the university.

Finding out the reason for the university's refusal to allow you in the study abroad program is the place you have to start, before it can be determined if you have any cause to take legal action against the university.

If the university will not give you a straight answer, have an attorney ask the university for you. That will get their attention.

Good luck.

SecretName

Just checked email.

They are saying the pre program might not be enough prep, despite them saying it would definitely be.

As a result, they want me to do an exam and interview. I don't care what they want, they said the program was enough.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just checked email.

They are saying the pre program might not be enough prep, despite them saying it would definitely be.

As a result, they want me to do an exam and interview. I don't care what they want, they said the program was enough.
Do you feel that you won't "pass" the exam and interview? :confused:

SecretName

Maybe,maybe not. The simple fact is I was told such would not be necessary. They should either give me a reimbursement for the 10k or let me bypass these newly made up tests.

Also, I think they are making up these requirements just to deny me entry to the program.( I have a couple non friends in this particular department.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe,maybe not. The simple fact is I was told such would not be necessary. They should either give me a reimbursement for the 10k or let me bypass these newly made up tests.

Also, I think they are making up these requirements just to deny me entry to the program.( I have a couple non friends in this particular department.)
Well, you can dig your heals in here if you want and likely lose your $10k, or you can do the exam and interview. It's really up to you.

quincy

Why? They said I would get entry, but now they are lying and it has cost me thousands
Perhaps the country in question is placing tighter restrictions on entry and the university has no control over it.

You apparently do not know enough yet about why the university is refusing your admittance into the program to say whether you have any legal action to take against the university. And, if the summer program cost $10,000 and you enrolled in the summer program and stayed through the end of the summer program, I suppose it could be argued that you got your $10,000-worth.

What was the content of the summer program? Was it a language and cultures course?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are prepared to prove that they lied?

There can be no possibility of a misunderstanding, a change in policy, a change in regulations that they cannot control?

You have proof that will stand up in court that there is NO other possibility but a deliberate and malicious lie?

Please provide such proof.

xylene

You need to contact the university ombudsman's office.

The ombudsman is the go to first stop for these kinds of issues.

Also, you keep saying "They said." Do you mean with their mouths or in writing that you have a copy of?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">