• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an international student complete last year of High School in the US?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satycorn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi,
I am a student from eastern Europe and I'm building the "scheme" of my higher education in USA in my mind already. I'm in second year of High School and I have already decided that I will go to Ohio State University after high school to study Computer Science. Me and my family have already been taking care of the financial stuff and my uncle in Ohio is willing to support me and cover all my accommodation costs, including food,so I will be leaving with him.

I was wondering though, as I have already discussed this with my parents, is somebody like me allowed to go to the US one year earlier and complete my last year of High School AND then going to University, without coming back to my home country or needing to apply for extra permissions?

I have only two months to finish this academic year, is it possible or am I too late? Are high schools in the US as competitive as universities? Is it impossible for international students?
I have plenty of people my age that were in the same school as me and now they went to the US to finish their two last years of high school, but the, just like me, didn't start high school there. And I just can't ask them because they always whine about this topic and find a way to change subject.
Anyways, any reply on this would be highly appreciated, would I have to pay as much as an university? If not, how much? I'm just looking for a normal school, nothing special. Can I get a visa that will allow me to finish the 1 year of high school AND proceed with university without having to get a new visa, or is that impossible?

Also, there are no exchange programs available for students from my country to go to the US, I know this very good, that's not an option.
Thank you very much!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You do realize that you have to be accepted to OSU before attending, right? You don't just "decide" to go there.

High schools in the US vary, as I am certain they do in your country. There are some high schools that are very good and do rival some universities, and some that do not adequately prepare a student at all. And, too, a lot depends on the drive a particular student has. One who is truly interested in an education will often be able to get a good one in any HS. A student who could care less will be unprepared regardless of the high school s/he attends. You would also be required to take the SAT (which is a standardized test that almost every University requires as part of an application) as well as the TOEFL (a standardized test that will determine your proficiency of English as a Foreign Language - I suspect, based on your post, that you will have little trouble with this).

I would expect the problems an international student would have would have more to do with assimilation and culture shock than with preparation. Unless you are going to a private school, there should no tuition costs associated, as long as you are attending a HS within the district you are living. Your uncle should inquire what documentation is required to enroll you, as different districts have different requirements, especially when a minor is not living with a parent/legal guardian. (He will also need to find out what documentation he might need to get you medical care, whether routine or emergency.)

College tuition will depend in large part on what the university's policy is wrt residency in the state. If you are here as a HS student, you will be free to apply for scholarships and grants to help offset the costs. The Guidance department in your particular HS will likely provide information regarding what is available, what the criteria are and the due dates for applications. You could also look into what cultural/religious groups that you may be affiliated with might offer in that regard. If your uncle lives in an area with a large contingent of people from your country, there will likely be such groups available. You might consider becoming involved. Not only because of potential scholarships/grants (many immigrants like to provide a leg up to new arrivals), but also for support as you navigate the huge cultural differences you will experience.

Good luck to you.

LdiJ

One of my co-workers currently is housing his wife's niece who is from China. She is attending high school in the US on a student visa. However, she was not able to enroll in a public school, she had to enroll in a private high school. She had the same intent as the OP, she intends to attend college in the US. Her motivation for attending high school in the US was to have time to perfect her English before entering college. Therefore I know that what the OP wants to do is possible, and it can be done on a student visa.

Satycorn

Thanks so much for your replies everybody.

You need a student visa. Go home and file for one.
I actually am home haha, my uncle is in the US.

You do realize that you have to be accepted to OSU before attending, right? You don't just "decide" to go there.

High schools in the US vary, as I am certain they do in your country. There are some high schools that are very good and do rival some universities, and some that do not adequately prepare a student at all. And, too, a lot depends on the drive a particular student has. One who is truly interested in an education will often be able to get a good one in any HS. A student who could care less will be unprepared regardless of the high school s/he attends. You would also be required to take the SAT (which is a standardized test that almost every University requires as part of an application) as well as the TOEFL (a standardized test that will determine your proficiency of English as a Foreign Language - I suspect, based on your post, that you will have little trouble with this).

I would expect the problems an international student would have would have more to do with assimilation and culture shock than with preparation. Unless you are going to a private school, there should no tuition costs associated, as long as you are attending a HS within the district you are living. Your uncle should inquire what documentation is required to enroll you, as different districts have different requirements, especially when a minor is not living with a parent/legal guardian. (He will also need to find out what documentation he might need to get you medical care, whether routine or emergency.)

College tuition will depend in large part on what the university's policy is wrt residency in the state. If you are here as a HS student, you will be free to apply for scholarships and grants to help offset the costs. The Guidance department in your particular HS will likely provide information regarding what is available, what the criteria are and the due dates for applications. You could also look into what cultural/religious groups that you may be affiliated with might offer in that regard. If your uncle lives in an area with a large contingent of people from your country, there will likely be such groups available. You might consider becoming involved. Not only because of potential scholarships/grants (many immigrants like to provide a leg up to new arrivals), but also for support as you navigate the huge cultural differences you will experience.

Good luck to you.
I am already aware that you need to apply first in order to be enrolled in a certain university. My plan is studying in a Community College (Columbus State Community College) for the first two years and then transfer to Ohio State University. By law, all US citizens who graduate from the CS Community College are guaranteed to be accepted in OSU, but I am not sure about international students, so I sent an e-mail to the school and I'm waiting for their reply.
I am very hard working and determined about this, I've been waiting for so long about this and one of the most exciting things about this is the cultural diversity that I will meet.
One thing: Most Colleges/Universities don't give scholarships/aids to international students, is this different when it comes to High Schools? Can I actually get a scholarship in High School even if I'm an international student? I will give the TOEFl ASAP and even SAT if it's needed, but I thought SAT is needed before going to college too, so I thought I'd wait for that until I finish the last year of high school.

One of my co-workers currently is housing his wife's niece who is from China. She is attending high school in the US on a student visa. However, she was not able to enroll in a public school, she had to enroll in a private high school. She had the same intent as the OP, she intends to attend college in the US. Her motivation for attending high school in the US was to have time to perfect her English before entering college. Therefore I know that what the OP wants to do is possible, and it can be done on a student visa.
This is so motivating. Did she not get the chance to attend a public high school because of her English, or because of the fact that she's an international student?
My main concern, again, is whether the student visa I'll get for this one year in High School will somehow interfere with the visa I'll try to get to go to College? The High School visa allows me to stay there for one year only, so I'll have to apply for a new one before entering college. Will this cause any problems to the eyes of the department, since both will be F-1 visas?

I found a similar website with a guy from Europe who is in the same situation as me, here are what some people say:

The law does not allow an alien student (F-1) to attend public elementary school. A student may attend public secondary school, but not for more than 12 months and the student must reimburse the school board for the full cost of the education. Hence U.S. public high schools are prohibited from issuing a SEVIS Form I-20 to alien students. However, you may attend a private high school if this school is an approved academic institution and can issue a SEVIS I-20 to you
Also the same people from the same page are saying that this is not possible because there are subjects that I have missed in the past two years, such as American History, does that really count :S? I haven't heard about this elsewhere though...

Is this true :(?

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Most students first take the SAT in their Junior year, and then retake it if they feel they could do better. Most take it twice.

You do need to look at what the state graduation requirements. Yes - two years of American History is likely required. So you should look at how you can fit those in, either in school or via online/summer school.

I don't know how scholarships/grants from universities work wrt foreign students. Private groups can hep anyone they please.

ecmst12

You can't really be surprised that american high school students are required to learn american history, can you? Do you learn the history of your country in your schools?

Satycorn

Most students first take the SAT in their Junior year, and then retake it if they feel they could do better. Most take it twice.

You do need to look at what the state graduation requirements. Yes - two years of American History is likely required. So you should look at how you can fit those in, either in school or via online/summer school.

I don't know how scholarships/grants from universities work wrt foreign students. Private groups can hep anyone they please.
But, how do people who are in 2nd year of high school go to exchange programs in the US in the middle of their high school then? Do I just take a test to prove that I have knowledge about the American History or do I have to actually show that I have studied that in High School? If it's the second, how will online courses help me?

You can't really be surprised that american high school students are required to learn american history, can you? Do you learn the history of your country in your schools?
That's not what I meant, we do study our country's history here but it's not like in the US, I mean, especially in the third year of high school, you pick your majors and for someone like me who would study computer science in college, history wouldn't be taught at all, at least not in my country, in third year...

So did this turn impossible :(?

LdiJ

But, how do people who are in 2nd year of high school go to exchange programs in the US in the middle of their high school then? Do I just take a test to prove that I have knowledge about the American History or do I have to actually show that I have studied that in High School? If it's the second, how will online courses help me?

That's not what I meant, we do study our country's history here but it's not like in the US, I mean, especially in the third year of high school, you pick your majors and for someone like me who would study computer science in college, history wouldn't be taught at all, at least not in my country, in third year...

So did this turn impossible :(?
No, it did not turn impossible. Its simply that you may be required to do some additional work to meet the graduation requirements for an American High School.

A private high school is required because you are not a US citizen or greencard holder.

It will not cause you any problems in getting a visa for college.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Liar. Fish or cut bait. You are either in status to go to college in the US or will not be in status and will need to go home and apply for an F1.
Quit being a donkey, RoadKill.

OP - you will need to show that you have met the requirements of your state to graduate. That will likely require two years of American History. Taken and passed. SO yes, you WILL have to take those classes, one way or another. Two yeas of HS left? You can do it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Quit being a donkey, RoadKill.

OP - you will need to show that you have met the requirements of your state to graduate. That will likely require two years of American History. Taken and passed. SO yes, you WILL have to take those classes, one way or another. Two yeas of HS left? You can do it.
To be fair, it's not necessarily two YEARS - he will need a certain number of CREDITS. Those credits can likely be earned in other ways (such as summer school or night school)

Satycorn

No, it did not turn impossible. Its simply that you may be required to do some additional work to meet the graduation requirements for an American High School.

A private high school is required because you are not a US citizen or greencard holder.

It will not cause you any problems in getting a visa for college.

So my only options are private high schools? I've been browsing online near the area where my uncle leaves an 98% of private high schools are religious ones. I've never been to one and I don't mind dealing with religion, but are these schools really worth it, or do periods go something like: "God created this molecular structure and we should feel so blessed to have it"?
Again, not wanting to sound rude or anything as I'm a Christian myself, but am I limited to private high schools only or can I go to public ones? How can I do this extra work to meet the graduation requirements? I'm willing to do everything I can in the few months I have left.

Liar. Fish or cut bait. You are either in status to go to college in the US or will not be in status and will need to go home and apply for an F1.
I am not sure if this is serious or not, but if it is I don't know what's up with people these days, I wont spend my time convincing you that I am in my home country or not, I'm here for serious advice as I am badly seeking it and I don't have anyone near me to turn to.

Thanks.

Silverplum

So my only options are private high schools? I've been browsing online near the area where my uncle leaves an 98% of private high schools are religious ones. I've never been to one and I don't mind dealing with religion, but are these schools really worth it, or do periods go something like: "God created this molecular structure and we should feel so blessed to have it"?
Christians are the only ones who bother to run private schools.

In my very wide experience, they're usually excellent schools.

LdiJ

Again, not wanting to sound rude or anything as I'm a Christian myself, but am I limited to private high schools only or can I go to public ones? How can I do this extra work to meet the graduation requirements? I'm willing to do everything I can in the few months I have left.

I am not sure if this is serious or not, but if it is I don't know what's up with people these days, I wont spend my time convincing you that I am in my home country or not, I'm here for serious advice as I am badly seeking it and I don't have anyone near me to turn to.

Thanks.
Your Uncle could check to see if its possible for you to pay tuition and attend the local public high school. If the school is not overcrowded that might be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">