• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a school deny financial aid if the government okays it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carlyr02

Hello everyone I am new here and have some questions regarding my education. I currently attend a vocational school and I am studying Cosmetology. I am graduating from this program in December. I have decided that when I am done, I would like to start another program at the same school, which isn't at all related to Cosmetology. I contacted the financial aid person and let her know that I was interested in starting another program and wanted to find out how I would go about doing that. Here is the e-mail she sent to me:

"Hi,
I understand your interest, but here at (Name of school) we are training folks for a vocational career. You are nearing the end of your program in Cosmetology; scheduled for December with proper attendance. We would encourage you to obtain experience in your chosen field and pay back your student loan debt before focusing on another program. Your financial aid would likely be denied for another program although you could attend without financial aid.
With your financial aid history, it is also likely the Federal Government will mark your account to be watched as one who is school/program jumping for the sake of loans."

I have already spoken with someone on the FAFSA hotline and they said that there is no reason why I would get denied more aid, but the school can turn it down for their own reasons. How is that possible? I do not like that the financial aid person assumed that I may be jumping programs so I can obtain more loans. And also she mentioned my financial aid history which is not bad at all. I attended an online school and paid that loan in full, then attended a few classes at a community college before deciding on Cosmetology. It just seems like the school is trying to discourage me because they frown upon people changing their career path. I plan on working in the Cosmetology field, but I also would like to gain experience in another field. I don't understand why the school thinks this is a bad idea. There are other schools that I could go to but this one is closest to home, which is why I'd like to continue my education there. The main thing I need to know is if this school can turn my financial aid down if the government gives the okay? And basically they would be turning me down because I am choosing to train in another field. Something about this doesn't sound right to me.

Well thank you for taking the time to read this and I would truly appreciate any insight!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Hello everyone I am new here and have some questions regarding my education. I currently attend a vocational school and I am studying Cosmetology. I am graduating from this program in December. I have decided that when I am done, I would like to start another program at the same school, which isn't at all related to Cosmetology. I contacted the financial aid person and let her know that I was interested in starting another program and wanted to find out how I would go about doing that. Here is the e-mail she sent to me:

"Hi,
I understand your interest, but here at (Name of school) we are training folks for a vocational career. You are nearing the end of your program in Cosmetology; scheduled for December with proper attendance. We would encourage you to obtain experience in your chosen field and pay back your student loan debt before focusing on another program. Your financial aid would likely be denied for another program although you could attend without financial aid.
With your financial aid history, it is also likely the Federal Government will mark your account to be watched as one who is school/program jumping for the sake of loans."

I have already spoken with someone on the FAFSA hotline and they said that there is no reason why I would get denied more aid, but the school can turn it down for their own reasons. How is that possible? I do not like that the financial aid person assumed that I may be jumping programs so I can obtain more loans. And also she mentioned my financial aid history which is not bad at all. I attended an online school and paid that loan in full, then attended a few classes at a community college before deciding on Cosmetology. It just seems like the school is trying to discourage me because they frown upon people changing their career path. I plan on working in the Cosmetology field, but I also would like to gain experience in another field. I don't understand why the school thinks this is a bad idea. There are other schools that I could go to but this one is closest to home, which is why I'd like to continue my education there. The main thing I need to know is if this school can turn my financial aid down if the government gives the okay? And basically they would be turning me down because I am choosing to train in another field. Something about this doesn't sound right to me.

Well thank you for taking the time to read this and I would truly appreciate any insight!
Thing is - you are NOT gaining experience in any field. Not Cosmetology, not anything else. What you ARE doing is keeping someone who is actually interested in whatever field you've now decided to pursue from being able to do so - because you are taking an otherwise available space. Vocational schools aim to give someone a vocation, a career. Not a general education.

And yes, the school can deny you admission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">