• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can school force 1st grader to attend after-school music play?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scopist247

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Music teacher sends home permission slip for participation in music program to be held at 7:00 p.m. I did not return permission slip. Music teacher sends two letters home stating attendance is mandatory and will only be excused for illness or family emergency.

My child was ill the day of the play and did not attend school or the play. I presonally made a visit to the school to let them know he was ill.

To make a long story short, a large number of students called in sick that day. Classroom teacher and music teacher are interrogating each child that was sick that day about whether they were, in fact, sick. My child has been interrogated at least three times now. Classroom teacher told him he was lying when he told her he was sick.

I received a letter yesterday from the music teacher stating that she needs a note from me stating he was sick or she will have to lower his grade to an F for not coming to the play.

Shouldn't it be enough that I notified the school that he was sick? Can a grade be lowered to an F for not attending one play? What about class participation for the rest of the year; does it not count for a grade? Can you be required to attend after-school functions? What can I do about the harassment my child and others are receiving from the teacher and music teacher?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">