• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they take my credit? I have a serious medical condition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jwhitlock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I have a medical condition called pseudo tumor cerebri which means false tumor. It gives you all the effects of a tumor. I am going to see a neurologist for this and have missed a lt of school. It is a very serious condition and my school has been great with handling it. But could they take my credit away from me if they wante to? I live in Arkansas by the way I didn't know if it mattered

Aso my doctor ha wrote them a letter and the hospital has sent them several notes. I am going to lebonheurs childrins hospital in Memphis, TNWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I have a medical condition called pseudo tumor cerebri which means false tumor. It gives you all the effects of a tumor. I am going to see a neurologist for this and have missed a lt of school. It is a very serious condition and my school has been great with handling it. But could they take my credit away from me if they wante to? I live in Arkansas by the way I didn't know if it mattered

Aso my doctor ha wrote them a letter and the hospital has sent them several notes. I am going to lebonheurs childrins hospital in Memphis, TNWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What kind of credit are you talking about and what kind of school is this?

Jwhitlock

I earned them but that's by the problem I am passing all of my classes. It's just that with this condition I have missed a lot of school. Can they take them away from me with me missing those days. Even though I have a letter and notes from a neurologist

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I earned them but that's by the problem I am passing all of my classes. It's just that with this condition I have missed a lot of school. Can they take them away from me with me missing those days. Even though I have a letter and notes from a neurologist
How old are you?

Antigone*

Earning the credits means completing the classes, and that includes attendance. If you have passing grades so far, but cannot complete the classes due to your medical condition then you may not have a passing grade at the end of the class.

You are still a child, you really need your parents to work with your school counselors. There are definite ways that you can be kept on track even though you may not physically be able to attend classes. Your parents do have to make things happen for you though, you just can't expect for it to happen on its own.

Humusluvr

There is a 90% rule for attendance in public schools. You have to be in attendance 90% of the days, or you are not allowed credit. This is a state rule, not a school rule. Attendance at school is mandatory.

So, what you should be talking about with the school is a credit recovery or makeup time so that you can get your credit. You may also be able to do a credit appeal through the attendance office where your medical condition, and the fact you passed your classes, are taken into account, and you are granted credit.

You may also want to look at a homeschooling option, or a 504 for your medical condition, so that you can graduate on time.

Jwhitlock

I understand this. But the thing is that I am doing all of the work that everyone else is doing and maintaining a passing grade. I'm doing everything tat a student that never misses is doing and I'm getting good grades. My mom has been to talk to the principal twice and he says that as long as I make up my work which I have that everything would be fine. This condition absolutely can not bE helped and it is a terrible thing to go through its all the same effects of having a brain tumor. I can not help it what so ever and I have had it for About 3 months.

Humusluvr

I understand this. But the thing is that I am doing all of the work that everyone else is doing and maintaining a passing grade. I'm doing everything tat a student that never misses is doing and I'm getting good grades. My mom has been to talk to the principal twice and he says that as long as I make up my work which I have that everything would be fine. This condition absolutely can not bE helped and it is a terrible thing to go through its all the same effects of having a brain tumor. I can not help it what so ever and I have had it for About 3 months.
I understand that. The state has attendance laws, however, so even if you are passing, you still have to LEGALLY have put in your attendance. If the principal says he will grant you credit, then go with what he is saying. Just realize that there are laws on the books that schools are supposed to follow.

Do you have a 504?

Why are you so worried, if the principal is saying he'll grant the credit?

Jwhitlock

Because I am I would hate to have to repeat my sophomore year just because I have a medical condition that was caused by an idiot doctor.

PQN

Your parents need to call for an IEP meeting. It seems that you would qualify under the OHI (Other Health Impaired). This would require the school to accomodate your medical absences and even provide a tutor if you are hospitalized for any significant length of time.

Since your school clearly has been informed that you are a student with a disability, they should have already offered these accomodations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">