• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't register for class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kirbee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

Before I met my boyfriend, he attended Hinds Community College in 2014. He took out a school loan. He took a break from school. He decided he would finish his Associate degree this Fall. When he tried registering for his classes today, he discovered he owes $1,700. He spoke to the financial aid department. They told him he was awarded a Pell Grant when he was attending school before. They said because he got a school loan, the Pell Grant was taken back. Because of this, he now owes $1,700. I do not know if the $1,700 is owed to a collection agency, a loan company, or the Department of Education.

They told him he cannot register for any classes until the $1,700 is paid in full. Can they do this?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

Before I met my boyfriend, he attended Hinds Community College in 2014. He took out a school loan. He took a break from school. He decided he would finish his Associate degree this Fall. When he tried registering for his classes today, he discovered he owes $1,700. He spoke to the financial aid department. They told him he was awarded a Pell Grant when he was attending school before. They said because he got a school loan, the Pell Grant was taken back. Because of this, he now owes $1,700.

They told him he cannot register for any classes until the $1,700 is paid in full. Can they do this?
Yes, not only CAN they, they DID.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">