• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

derpa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

I drive to school. At lunch I left to go off campus for food (I'm allowed). When we came back I didn't park in my allocated park in the parking lot. I left the car out on the street so I could leave and go to work after school and it can take ages in the parking lot when everyone wants to leave. In the afternoon an Asst Principal came to me and said he wanted to search my car. I said no. He said, it's on school property and he can search. I told him it's not on school property. He made me go with him and we both saw that it wasn't there. He said let me look in it or no more allocated park. I still said no. So he's like, you can't park here.
How can they do that when they have no right to search my car when it's not on school property? They make a request to go above what they're allowed to do and when I refuse it, I get punished?
What rule did I break?

derpa

That's not cool. So they can do ANYTHING they like? Now they want to bribe me by giving me the permit back if I tell them things I don't know. So, since they make up their own laws - I guess I can just tell them anything? Tell them, "I heard that...."

CdwJava

Well, you are free to hire an attorney to try and argue with the school that you have a legal RIGHT to park at the school.

Or, you can appeal the decision not to return your parking permit to the principal, the superintendent and maybe the school board ... though, that might mean that whatever they suspect you of being involved in will become wider knowledge.

derpa

Well, you are free to hire an attorney to try and argue with the school that you have a legal RIGHT to park at the school.

Or, you can appeal the decision not to return your parking permit to the principal, the superintendent and maybe the school board ... though, that might mean that whatever they suspect you of being involved in will become wider knowledge.
But DO i have a legal right to park there?? I'm guessing 'no'

So I could appeal and they'll have suspicions and wider knowledge but nothing to go on. Or I can tell them "all I can say is I heard that blah blah". Schools just do what they want huh.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

So I could appeal and they'll have suspicions and wider knowledge but nothing to go on. Or I can tell them "all I can say is I heard that blah blah". Schools just do what they want huh.
What does the student handbook say? That's where the rules are outlined for you as to expected behavior at school/parking/extracurriculars.

Parking at the school is a privilege, not a right. :cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

A legal right to park where? On school property, or on the street? If on school property, that is completely up to the school administration. If on the street, as long as you follow local parking rules, you're probably fine. BUT... The cops may find cause to search your car.

I'll ask again - what was in your car that you didn't want them to find?

derpa

What does the student handbook say? That's where the rules are outlined for you as to expected behavior at school/parking/extracurriculars.

Parking at the school is a privilege, not a right. :cool:
What's the handbook say about what specifcally?
It says that cars on school property can be searched. And it seems like I lost my parking because he couldn't search my car. Even though when he wanted to search it, it was not on school property so we had no 'contract' over any searches at that time...
No reason for me to lose my parking, I didn't do anything.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What's the handbook say about what specifcally?
It says that cars on school property can be searched. And it seems like I lost my parking because he couldn't search my car. Even though when he wanted to search it, it was not on school property so we had no 'contract' over any searches at that time...
No reason for me to lose my parking, I didn't do anything.
You lost the privilege for not following the rules. Get over it. :cool:

derpa

You lost the privilege for not following the rules. Get over it. :cool:
lol, what rule? There's no rule that I HAVE to use my park at every opportunity I have to use it, there's no rule that I can't use my car at lunch, there's no rule that I have to let asst principal search my car when its off campus...

swalsh411

The school has the authority to revoke your parking permit. You have no right to park at the school. What part of this don't you get? The answer doesn't change because you don't like it.

CSO286

lol, what rule? There's no rule that I HAVE to use my park at every opportunity I have to use it, there's no rule that I can't use my car at lunch, there's no rule that I have to let asst principal search my car when its off campus...
And there's no rule that says the school MUST issue you a parking permit.

And they cetainly can revoke your permit at any time. There doesn't have to be cause. (Although I would state that your parking off-campus and refusing access to a school official would raise enough of an aeyebrow to result in a revocation of the permit.)

Your legal rights, such as they are, have not been violated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">