• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Catholic School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marcella

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My son attends a Catholic School in which most of the moms stay at home and their main social involvement revolbes around the school, the moms are great at doing yard duty, participating in extra curriculum activities and they usually socialize with each other before and after school. The problem is that if you are a working parent you are seing as a second class citizen and therefore your kid is also seen this way. The Principal also treats parents according to how much you put in to the school. My son has an education IEP as he has a learing disability and ADHD. At the begining of the year the Principal said if he were to stay at the school we would need to do a behavorial contract in which our son would be evaluated on a daily basis on his academic as well as behavior issues. She said he would be repremended for his bad behavior and rewarded for the good behavior, well he had 3 good weeks and 1 bad week. The Principal never came up with the reward strategy but did call me last week that if my son does not shape up he is out of there. This Principal has never said one positive thing about my son in her eyes he is the worst kid even though I know from other kids and parents that my son's behavior is not the worst, every time I bring up issues with other children she total minimizes their problems although they have done worst things than my son has done. I am feeling emotionally drained because no matter how hard my son tries, she always makes him up to be the black sheep. It is not as easy to move him out of the school because all the Principals from Catholic schools in the area know each other. Unfortunately, the public school system in our area is not the best. Is there someone I can talk to about unfair treatment in a private school?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My son attends a Catholic School in which most of the moms stay at home and their main social involvement revolbes around the school, the moms are great at doing yard duty, participating in extra curriculum activities and they usually socialize with each other before and after school. The problem is that if you are a working parent you are seing as a second class citizen and therefore your kid is also seen this way. The Principal also treats parents according to how much you put in to the school. My son has an education IEP as he has a learing disability and ADHD. At the begining of the year the Principal said if he were to stay at the school we would need to do a behavorial contract in which our son would be evaluated on a daily basis on his academic as well as behavior issues. She said he would be repremended for his bad behavior and rewarded for the good behavior, well he had 3 good weeks and 1 bad week. The Principal never came up with the reward strategy but did call me last week that if my son does not shape up he is out of there. This Principal has never said one positive thing about my son in her eyes he is the worst kid even though I know from other kids and parents that my son's behavior is not the worst, every time I bring up issues with other children she total minimizes their problems although they have done worst things than my son has done. I am feeling emotionally drained because no matter how hard my son tries, she always makes him up to be the black sheep. It is not as easy to move him out of the school because all the Principals from Catholic schools in the area know each other. Unfortunately, the public school system in our area is not the best. Is there someone I can talk to about unfair treatment in a private school?
**A: you could talk to the school Board.

CourtClerk

If your son is on a behavior contract, why aren't YOU rewarding him for the 3 good weeks? Why is it the school's responsibility.

If your son is being so horribly treated in the school, you're so uncomfortable, the principal is mean, never has a nice word to say and you are so emotionally drained by this situation, why are YOU, the parent and ultimate protector of your child subjecting him to such treatment by sending him there????

Is this the ONLY private school around?

Oh, and as a parent of a child with ADHD, ADHD is NOT an excuse for bad behavior.

mommyof4

You are PAYING for the treatment he is recieving. So, if you continue to require him to attend this school, you are just as "guilty" for the treatment your son recieves from the principal, etc.

While none of my children deal with ADHD, I know many children who do and worked with them in the classroom. Never once did I see any of the teachers or principals allow disruptive behavior from those students, just as disruptive behavior was not allowed from any other student.

Maybe your child really does display some of the worst behavior ever seen. Maybe THAT is something you should be addressing with your son (and his father, doctor, and therapist).

xylene

Bottom line:

The school drew up a behavior contract and child is not meeting it.

This means the school does not have the resources for your child.

This means you should want child out of there lickity split

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Private schools do not have to accept children with IEPs and do not have to educate all children. You have a choice. Public school which has to educate everyone.

EvaRuby210

I've taught at both a Catholic and public school. Generally, Catholic schools don't have teachers who have the training to deal with IEP students. Furthermore, their administrators usually aren't certified. As it has already been stated, Catholic schools are under no obligation to accommodate your child. Ironically, you are paying tuition for this. Plain and simple, they have no idea what to do with your child. I'm not knocking parochial schools-they just aren't tuned in to the needs of special needs kids. It is a very expensive undertaking and requires expertise. I would suggest you visit the public school system in your community. Sometimes what you hear about a school just isn't true & you need to check it out yourself. Other alternatives include homeschooling or cyber schooling. Every state is a little different with regard to these two options, so I'd get online to research both. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">