• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Hurt At School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

igmohair

Missouri--My daughter came home last night to tell me about this issue. It starts like this: the children were made to put their heads down in 1st grade class. One of the students ask to sharpen her pencil and the teacher allows her too. As this student walks to her dest, she stops at my daughters desk and asks her if she could stab her with her newly sharpened pencil. Of course, my daughter says no and this student proceeds to grab my daughters hand and stabs her with the pencil. My daughter screams and cries and the teacher told her she was fine until my daughter told her that she actually stabbed her on purpose with the pencil. The teacher sends the other student to her desk to put her head down, and takes my daughter to the bathroom to wash her hands. This other student was allowed to continue to partcipate during class and got no punishment for her actions. The school never sent a letter home or contacted me about this incident. I didnt have to take my daughter to the doctor because she had gotten the point of the pencil out of her hand and no signs of granite left. I called the school principal today and she wasnt there but I left a message about this incident and if the puncture becomes infected, I would proceed to have the bill sent to the parents of this child or to the school. I just feel that I shouldve been contacted about this and the other student atleast shouldve been sent to the principals office. Is there anything I should do or contact to have this addressed? I dont want this other student to do this again to any other students.

GaAtty

Legally, neither the school nor the parents would be required to pay any bill of your daughter's. Parents are not liable for the torts (civil wrongs) of their children, and the school has immunity from such things. Of course, you could take out a juvenile warrant against the other child, but we are talking about a first grader. If your state has passed an "anti-bullying statute" , then you should read it and proceed. In most states, if such a law is passed, it means that the principal is responsible for putting a halt to bullying. ( What happened to your child can be considered bullying.)However, the catch is that the principal must be made aware of the bullying. That means it is up to you to tell the principal. Go have a talk with him or her.

igmohair

my post

Thank you. I've had several people tell me to get police involved because its assault. I feel this is extreme for a first grader. And Im not too worried about having any doctor bills because my daughter is doing fine and its healing up good. I am having a word with the school principal so she is aware of this situation and atleast has a talk with the girl that stabbed my daughter. This girl was my daughters friend before this incident, so we have not had any prior problems but if we do later on, I want the principal to be aware that I wont tolerate my daughter being bullying around. I just want this girl to understand that what she did was wrong.

Just Blue

igmohair said:
Thank you. I've had several people tell me to get police involved because its assault. I feel this is extreme for a first grader. And Im not too worried about having any doctor bills because my daughter is doing fine and its healing up good. I am having a word with the school principal so she is aware of this situation and atleast has a talk with the girl that stabbed my daughter. This girl was my daughters friend before this incident, so we have not had any prior problems but if we do later on, I want the principal to be aware that I wont tolerate my daughter being bullying around. I just want this girl to understand that what she did was wrong.

Have you talked to the parents of the girl? Do they even know about this?

sisymay

I would write a detailed letter to the principal, stating everything that happened. Include that you were not notified of what happened.
State in the letter that you want a written reply within 7 days with their statements of what is going to be done about this, and see what answer you get.
If nothing else, this incident needs to be documented and have some sort of written proof that it even happened, and this letter will be it.
I would also ask to see the schools documentation of this incident. If I'm not mistaken, schools are suppose to document things such as this, to have a record that it happened.

Any reason given why the lil girl would want to do that anyways? Is this the first time she has done anything? ( not your daughter the other lil girl)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">