• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child hurt What would you do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kw0602

AL.
My 12 year old child was injured at school. He was playing basketball and ran into a pole and hit his head. He fell on the ground and the other children say that he was confused, babbling, and could not hear. I was never notified as the children say that the teacher did not know because he was grading papers.
The children took him to the bathroom and washed his face. He came back out to play with the other kids and sat on the floor and cried again saying that his head hurt. Again the teacher never knew. The children took him back to the bathroom to wash his face and again and he came back out to play with the other kids a second time and felt ok.
I was notified about the incident through another parent whose child was worried about my child and asked his mother to call and check on him.
I spoke to the principal who said that the children should have notified the coach of the incident and that children that age should be responsible enough to do so. He says that after his investigation he felt that this was an isolated incident and left it alone.
I am angry because I never knew and when we took him to the Dr the next day the Dr says that he had a mild concussion and that he should not play for a week. My child has not had any other problems but I am worried 1. As this could happen to another child too 2. Is my child safe at this school? What would be your next course of action if this were your child? Not once did the principal even apologize for the incident as he says that the coach had about 50 children and that is what the state says is allowable. They did not bring it to the attention of the coach because my child said that he was ok.

Last edited:

cyjeff

Editing the original post makes things harder.

okay....

So the kids all decided that Sonny was hurt enough to be taken to the washroom not once but twice... and were worried enough to call later to make sure that he was okay... but no one notified the school official on site or YOU for that matter?

Including your son? Why didn't HE tell you?

Anyway, while I am not crazy about the schools wording, I don't see it legally incorrect. They can only respond to issues brought to their attention.

Child hurt What would you do?
Teach my child to ask someone to go for help if he/she felt they needed it, and then teach them to watch where they're going.

Your post has a ring to it of, "Is there someone I can hold responsible for not notifying me?"

When I fell off of a horse at age 12 and broke my arm in 2 places, put 4 holes in my right knee and 1 in the top of my head, there wasn't anyone else responsible for anything, and I'm the one that called my mother to come get me to take me to the hospital to get my arm set.

I was able to do that, because my mother taught me to.

kdhohio

1. Yes this could happen to another child.
2. My crystal ball is broke but with just this incident, i would think he is as safe at school as he is anywhere else on the planet.

3. My next course of action would be: At 12 years old, I would tell my child to watch where they are going. I would also tell them if they get hurt at school, home or anywhere they need to head straight to the nearest responsible adult and tell them of the symptoms they are experiencing.

I would tell him to thank his caring friends and ask them next time to just go get an adult if they see him confused, deaf or babbling.

cyjeff

1. Yes this could happen to another child.
2. My crystal ball is broke but with just this incident, i would think he is as safe at school as he is anywhere else on the planet.

3. My next course of action would be: At 12 years old, I would tell my child to watch where they are going. I would also tell them if they get hurt at school, home or anywhere they need to head straight to the nearest responsible adult and tell them of the symptoms they are experiencing.

I would tell him to thank his caring friends and ask them next time to just go get an adult if they see him confused, deaf or babbling.
well, there is another way.

Talk to the principal in a "team building" manner and try to prevent this happening twice. maybe a school assembly in proper medical procedures and/or whom to notify in case of emergency.

Kids that age want so desperately to prove they are capable that they really don't know they are idiots... and I mean that in the nicest way.

kdhohio

well, there is another way.

Talk to the principal in a "team building" manner and try to prevent this happening twice. maybe a school assembly in proper medical procedures and/or whom to notify in case of emergency.

Kids that age want so desperately to prove they are capable that they really don't know they are idiots... and I mean that in the nicest way.
You're right cyjeff. That may help with the non notification problem and the recognition of minor brain injury, but unless they remove that dreaded hoop pole I gaurentee some other kid is going to eventually run into it. No assembly can prevent that.

cyjeff

You're right cyjeff. That may help with the non notification problem and the recognition of minor brain injury, but unless they remove that dreaded hoop pole I gaurentee some other kid is going to eventually run into it. No assembly can prevent that.
Kids get hurt.

Or, at least kids as clumsy as me, anyway.

Unless you are willing to put them in their own bubble, the only thing you can do is to make sure that if someone gets hurt, everyone knows what to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">