• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Study Team

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iaco1023

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Since November of 2011, we have been in contact with our town's child study team discussing our son transitioning into their disabilities preschool program. We agreed to have him tested by the district's therapists however we had already sent over all paperwork of the ABA therapy he was receiving through the NJ Early Intervention and his medical diagnosis of PDD-NOS-ASD(he's on the autism spectrum). On January 4, 2012, we sat in on the IEP meeting where the CST recommended their program, which after we looked into it, is a 2.5 hour per day program in which he will pulled out for OT, PT, ST sessions as well. This is in no way the correct program for a child on the autism spectrum. The child study team told me on 1/4/12 that I had a month to sign the IEP, which I know is wrong, I had only 15 days. I sent an email to the LDTC on the 15 day point stating I needed more time to decide. On January 31, 2012, I sent the LDTC and Director of Special Services/Interim Superintendent, a letter stating my disagreement with their recommendation due to the program being an inappropriate environment for a child on the spectrum. I have not heard back from them yet. I wanted to know how long they have to respond to my letter?

Last edited:

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Since November of 2011, we have been in contact with our town's child study team discussing our son transitioning into their disabilities preschool program. We agreed to have him tested by the district's therapists however we had already sent over all paperwork of the ABA therapy he was receiving through the NJ Early Intervention and his medical diagnosis of PDD-NOS-ASD(he's on the autism spectrum). On January 4, 2012, we sat in on the IEP meeting where the CST recommended their program, which after we looked into it, is a 2.5 hour per day program in which he will pulled out for OT, PT, ST sessions as well. This is in no way the correct program for a child on the autism spectrum. The child study team told me on 1/4/12 that I had a month to sign the IEP, which I know is wrong, I had only 15 days. I sent an email to the LDTC on the 15 day point stating I needed more time to decide. On January 31, 2012, I sent the LDTC and Director of Special Services/Interim Superintendent, a letter stating my disagreement with their recommendation due to the program being an inappropriate environment for a child on the spectrum. I have not heard back from them yet. I wanted to know how long they have to respond to my letter?
What proof do you have that your child was placed in the wrong program? What program do you believe he should be in?

IEP's are highly regulated, due to the complicated and legal measures involved. You may not hear back from them, and there's little recourse you have besides hiring an education advocate or attorney. And that will cost you thousands of dollars.

This school may do things differently than your old school. The team may make different recommendations than what you WANT. But ultimately, they will place him where he can receive services. If you don't like them, call for another ARD.

iaco1023

My child will not be 3 until March 26th, 2012. When he turns 3, the program he was found eligible for is a half day(2.5 hrs) general disabilities program which we went to observe. My son has autism and needs to be in a full day extended year ABA program as recommended by his Developmental Pediatrician and 4 therapists who have been working for him for the passed 11 months. I work for a public school and I have seen IEPs "conveniently" written so that children are kept in district, and it's a monetary stunt.

I read in the handbook for special education that if I disagree and refuse to sign the IEP, a mediation hearing will occur following due process. I have a few numbers for recommended advocates. When we first sat down with the child study team they stressed that WE were part of a team with my son's best interests as the priority, but clearly it is one sided.

Last edited:

Humusluvr

My child will not be 3 until March 26th, 2012. When he turns 3, the program he was found eligible for is a half day(2.5 hrs) general disabilities program which we went to observe. My son has autism and needs to be in a full day extended year ABA program as recommended by his Developmental Pediatrician and 4 therapists who have been working for him for the passed 11 months. I work for a public school and I have seen IEPs "conveniently" written so that children are kept in district, and it's a monetary stunt.

I read in the handbook for special education that if I disagree and refuse to sign the IEP, a mediation hearing will occur following due process. I have a few numbers for recommended advocates. When we first sat down with the child study team then stressed that WE were part of a team with my son's best interests as the priority, but clearly it is one sided.
What you need to research then is the peer-reviewed appropriate literature that says that what you are asking for is THE developmentally appropriate, only proven way to treat an Autistic child. Otherwise, it looks like you are trying to "milk" the system - which is what the district will see you as doing if you bring in one of these "advocates." The mediation team will likely find that the program they offered to your child is the developmentally appropriate program. What's in your son's best interests may NOT be what you want, because you want things your child isn't entitled to.

Listen, I worked in public schools as a teacher, a principal, and now a teacher trainer. I have sat in on numerous ARDs. I've read hundreds of IEPs, and talked to at least as many parents. Parents often want ever resource that has ever been available to any student EVER. And even if what they want is not what their child is entitled to, and not what's in the child's range, the parents demand it until the school folds from being sick of litigious parents. Schools are now aware of resources like this forum, and those advocate websites, and they know what parents are going to emotionally insist upon. Don't be surprised if you don't get what you want. Try an advocate if you want, pay for an attorney, and you MAY get what you want, but I've just sat in on a litigious case where the parent LOST, and lost thousands of dollars. So, don't be so quick to call the school deficient. I'm just warning you.

I'mTheFather

I recommend that you request another CST meeting, and ask all the people who have worked with your son to attend. You may have better luck.

If not, go for mediation.

I'mTheFather

Just to be clear, though, the program the school district offered is not inappropriate for every child on the spectrum. That's why it's called an IEP. ;)

Isis1

honestly, OP...my child was originally diagnosed with PDD as well. that was two years ago. we did the IEP with the district. he was rediagnosed as full autism and not just the spectrum. he has made AWESOME progress.

dad and i started with the twice a week 3.5 hour program. and after the first progress report he was upgraded to four times a week. OT, PT...the works.

it is well within your right to appeal the decision...we did. it's not that they are working against you, (it was explained to us) but moreso because funds were limited, only the more serious cases were "upgraded". and we showed them it would benefit for a more intense program. my son also participates in Headstart. in addition to the district school. also look to your regional center for your advocate. they really helped us stand up for our child by arming us with loads of information.

also....i never e-mailed. i called. i showed up. i wasn't playing around. both my son's schools know to answer me in a timely manner. you can still command authority without be disrespectful (not saying you are being disrespectful, understand that)

Last edited:

iaco1023

Thank you

I want to thank all who advised me in this situation. I received a letter from the Director of Spec. Ed. today stating that another IEP meeting will have to take place. I have since hired an advocate and am in the process of setting up a private evaluation.

Isis1

I want to thank all who advised me in this situation. I received a letter from the Director of Spec. Ed. today stating that another IEP meeting will have to take place. I have since hired an advocate and am in the process of setting up a private evaluation.
Go MOM! learn all you can...it helps so much when the school staff sees that you are active in every aspect they are more prone to give pointers and steer you in the right direction.

on a side note, even thought my daugher (younger than son mentioned) doesn't qualify for the four day week schedule....they gave it to her anyway because they know we are utilizing the program, and not just using them as a daycare facility.

iaco1023

Don't ever give up!~!

So it has been a whild since I have signed in and posted asking for advice since I felt like I wasn's getting anywhere but I wanted to let anyone who said I wasn't going to get anywhere that I got EVERYTHING. And I didn't have to hire a lawyer to do it. I researched special education laws and called the mayor of my town, the superintendant, and director of special education of the school system and proved my case as to why my son deserves to be bused out of district (picked up and dropped off at daycare) to a Full day ABA program. Don't give up people!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I didn't see where anyone said you wouldn't get anywhere. Everyone told you that you had to advocate for your child, but to be aware that you may not get everything you ask for at first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">