• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Cancelling Major

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rs_nvs

Last year I enrolled in an associates program part time as I am employed full time and am a mother to 2 so full time was not an option. I am currently in my 3rd semester but am no where near finishing since I am only part time. Recently, I was informed that the school will be cancelling the major. The student's in this major were told they would have the summer semester on this campus and next fall semester on another one of their campuses to finish their degree before they stopped offering the culinary classes I need to finish my culinary management degree. This does not give me enough time to finish my degree. I spoke to my adviser and my dean, and they both said I should transfer to a local community college that is closer to my home to finish the degree. In speaking with the college which was recommended to me I was told that my credits will not be transferable and on top of that they do not offer night classes in my major. I'm not sure what my options are at this point.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Before you enrolled, did you check to see if the credits would be transferable?
Most 'For Profit' colleges credit DO NOT transfer because they are not accredited. You pay for a more expensive education without the benefit of taking those credits to a different school. :cool:

rs_nvs

Before you enrolled, did you check to see if the credits would be transferable?
I wasn't expecting to have to transfer, I thought I would finish my associates there and be done. I work for a company that requires at least an associates to advance so I was thinking I'd get the degree and be done with college. I guess I was just wondering if there was anything I could do in regards of the college not allowing me to finish

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I wasn't expecting to have to transfer, I thought I would finish my associates there and be done. I work for a company that requires at least an associates to advance so I was thinking I'd get the degree and be done with college. I guess I was just wondering if there was anything I could do in regards of the college not allowing me to finish
No, you really don't. It is not their fault that you couldn't go full-time. Additionally, there is a lot of information out there all about this kind of problem - it's not new. Unfortunately (and I DO understand that you didn't expect this), you didn't do the research prior to enrolling and paying them. Soo you're really just going to have t suck it up and move on to another school. Does your employer offer tuition assistance? Is there someone in HR who might be willing and able to find a school that will work for you?

Also... Just a bit of (admittedly unsolicited) advice. Do NOT consider getting an Associate's the end of yoru needing to further your education/being done with college. An AA is really just the first step. I would bet that your employer - and other potential ones - would be more willing to advance you with a BA, etc. And, depending on what you actually do, you may find that those with further education will move up much more quickly than you do. Yes it's ard. But lots of single parents do it. So can you. Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is there someone in HR who might be willing and able to find a school that will work for you?

Don't count on it. That's not really HR's job and few HR professionals that I know will be willing to take on the responsibility - and liability -of finding schools for their employees to go to. It's not impossible that they might know of some schools that the employee can research, but I doubt they'll be willing to do the research or determine which ones have programs that will work for the employee's specific circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">