• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

college internship unpaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CupOJoe

What is the name of your state? PA
I had class in my legal aspects of human resource management graduate class last night and the professor mentioned a case where these medical record interns that got college credit and were unpaid for thier interndship filed a claim with the department of labor wage and hour division and were eventually paid for their internship(only 5.15 per hour, the federeal minimum wage). I had an unpaid internship that i also received college credit for and was unpaid. I did work, not just observing. I just called the wage and hour division and they said that since I received college credit for it, they are hesitant to go forawrd with my claim. They said they have only gone forward in cases where the person received no college credit and wasnt paid. Does anyone know the case that i am talking about or how i can find a case log of the medical record students, like how do i access wage and hour cases to show the wage and hour division they have gone forward and won in a similiar case. My local wage and hour division office i know just doesnt know about this other case that applies to my situation.

rmet4nzkx

CupOJoe said:
What is the name of your state? PA
I had class in my legal aspects of human resource management graduate class last night and the professor mentioned a case where these medical record interns that got college credit and were unpaid for thier interndship filed a claim with the department of labor wage and hour division and were eventually paid for their internship(only 5.15 per hour, the federeal minimum wage). I had an unpaid internship that i also received college credit for and was unpaid. I did work, not just observing. I just called the wage and hour division and they said that since I received college credit for it, they are hesitant to go forawrd with my claim. They said they have only gone forward in cases where the person received no college credit and wasnt paid. Does anyone know the case that i am talking about or how i can find a case log of the medical record students, like how do i access wage and hour cases to show the wage and hour division they have gone forward and won in a similiar case. My local wage and hour division office i know just doesnt know about this other case that applies to my situation.
So what scam are you trying to work now? Internships are frequently non paid and or low/minimum pay, something to which you agree when you sign on for the internship. A part of the factor in addition to whether or not you get college credit or not, may be a course requirement, is the fact that in an internship you are getting supervision and training for which you would be paying otherwise, so you are paid like for kind, training and supervision in lieu of wages.

So, you better go out and get a real job and start repaying your debts rather than trying to scam someone out of money, taking out student loans for graduate programs for which you are not qualified or writing bad checks. Not long ago, you were stating you had not worked and therefore flunked out of a class in your HR program requiring you to write a paper based upon your employment, and you were looking to get a setlement out of the college for flunking you, now you want to get paid for an internship you claimed to have never worked. I have no doubt if you indeed had an internship, you never worked. You are looking for a free ride, please ask your questions somewhere else, since you cannot tell the truth and refuse to follow the advice you were given. You still don't have a case.

C

CupOJoe

to answer the first question, my professor said he is not alowed to give specific legal advice. Once againt rmet put his foot in his mouth, showing he's not a lawyer. he said "Internships are frequently non paid and or low/minimum pay, something to which you agree when you sign on for the internship." It does NOT matter one bit if you agree that it is not paid. The FLSA says that if you do work for a company that frees up other professionals that you are doing their work, then you are entitled to at least the federal minimun wage. The problem is that my local office normally only goes forward with unpaid internships that receive NO college credit. I just need to find the case where they did go forward with the medical records students. Ill see if my professor will give me the specific case. Ill let you know rmet :)

rmet4nzkx

CupOJoe said:
to answer the first question, my professor said he is not alowed to give specific legal advice.
Citing a case is not legal advice, your complaint if any is with your professor not me, BTW, they know who you are at LRC so don't get your hopes up for them to play along with your plans and schemes.

Once againt rmet put his foot in his mouth,
Once again, it is your foot in your mouth, for the umteenth time, I am FEMALE not male, please refrain from intentionally calling me HE when you know I am a SHE!

showing he's not a lawyer.
I never claimed to be a lawyer, that does not mean that I have no knowledge of your area of study. As you know I have anvanced degrees including but not limited to: a degree in business managemnt which was one of your specific inquiries, which I appropriately answered. Why do you think none of the attorneys on this forum have challenged my advice to you?

he said "Internships are frequently non paid and or low/minimum pay, something to which you agree when you sign on for the internship." It does NOT matter one bit if you agree that it is not paid.
Oh yes it does, because it is a contract and you are also being paid in another form of pay. In your case it possibly costs them money to have YOU under their feet, getting in their way and most likely having to check and recheck all of your work what ever work you might possibly manage to complete.

The FLSA says that if you do work for a company that frees up other professionals that you are doing their work, then you are entitled to at least the federal minimun wage. A (supervised) internship does not free up anyone and your wages are in the form of training and job experience. If they did not allow this most licensed professionals would not be able to gain their hours of experience required for licenseure. Your statements continue to display your lack of suitability for this graduate program.

The problem is that my local office normally only goes forward with unpaid internships that receive NO college credit. This has been explained several times to you but you can't get it through your thick skull. You were paid by the opportunity for work experience, that you didn't optimize that opportunity is your fault, not grounds to get paid so you can pay for your bad checks.

I just need to find the case where they did go forward with the medical records students. Ill see if my professor will give me the specific case. Ill let you know rmet :)
Instead let me know how much longer LRC will allow you to continue in their HR program? Let us know how you plan to pay your bad checks? Go out and get a job and become a responsible person.

BelizeBreeze

Does anyone know the case that i am talking about or how i can find a case log of the medical record students, like how do i access wage and hour cases to show the wage and hour division they have gone forward and won in a similiar case. My local wage and hour division office i know just doesnt know about this other case that applies to my situation.
Yes, two people. And one you've already spoken with. :rolleyes:

BlondiePB

stealth2 said:
But he's almost as amusing as our internet pedophile friend!
Funny!!

Both these Joes' mojos aren't working. It's just a matter of opinion of which end doesn't work.

The only valid case CupOJoe has is a mental case. :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Y'know, to a real, practicing HR practitioner, it's quite clear that Joe has gotten nothing whatsoever out of his classes in HR management.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">