• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality law in university

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smithdotis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I am a university student in Illinois. I told a school official something in confidence and was assured that the information I told would be in confidence (before AND after I had told the information) and the confidence was broken. My name was attached to the information I said and an email saying everything that I told the university employee in confidence was emailed to numerous people. Has a law been broken? If so, what law?

CdwJava

That depends ... in what capacity was the employee acting when you emailed him? What were the positions of the people to whom he forwarded it?

What was the nature of your confidence? Not everything CAN remain confidential.

Smithdotis

it was emailed to about 10 students including myself, i can't tell you the circumstances though but the 10 students did NOT need to see the info I provided with my name attached. Is there a legal text I could look up and see if it fits my discription? I can't provide more details but am willing to look at any applicable laws myself and see if they apply.

Humusluvr

it was emailed to about 10 students including myself, i can't tell you the circumstances though but the 10 students did NOT need to see the info I provided with my name attached. Is there a legal text I could look up and see if it fits my discription? I can't provide more details but am willing to look at any applicable laws myself and see if they apply.
Check FERPA. I can't tell you whether it applies to you, being that you can't tell us what happened. There are other laws, but again.....

CdwJava

If you cannot give any idea of the circumstances and who you believe was supposed to keep some unknown information confidential, then there is very little we can do.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">