• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CSU GE cert./graduation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rgdt10

Hey all, newbie here

Just had a quick question, I recently graduated from a California State University and they denied my graduation status because I had not fulfilled their lower division US statutory requirement.

My transcript from the CC i went to was CSU certified but under the old plan before the US statutory requirement was added on to the current CSU cert. plan in fall of 2005.

The transcript got certified in 2009 but I was attending the college before the requirement was added on which is why the CC didn't hold me to it without any problems so can the University still hold me to it even though I transferred under the old plan?

Humusluvr

Hey all, newbie here

Just had a quick question, I recently graduated from a California State University and they denied my graduation status because I had not fulfilled their lower division US statutory requirement.

My transcript from the CC i went to was CSU certified but under the old plan before the US statutory requirement was added on to the current CSU cert. plan in fall of 2005.

The transcript got certified in 2009 but I was attending the college before the requirement was added on which is why the CC didn't hold me to it without any problems so can the University still hold me to it even though I transferred under the old plan?
so, you didn't transfer your credits to the new community college until after you had completed coursework? Or you didn't certify your transcript from your old college until you went to graduate.

What are they telling you? That you now don't have the credits to graduate?

rgdt10

The University is saying I have to take an additional 3 unit history course which wasn't under the old plan. My community college transcript has been certified.

Humusluvr

The University is saying I have to take an additional 3 unit history course which wasn't under the old plan. My community college transcript has been certified.
Was the history course on the original degree plan the university drafted for you, or is it something they just decided upon now? At what point did you know you had to take it?

Antigone*

so, you didn't transfer your credits to the new community college until after you had completed coursework? Or you didn't certify your transcript from your old college until you went to graduate.

What are they telling you? That you now don't have the credits to graduate?
You transferred to the CSU in 2009 after that statutory requirement had been added, right?

Mass_Shyster

You can hire an attorney and file for a declaratory judgement stating that you have met the requirements and are entitled to a diploma.

Or, you can take a history class.

One choice is relatively inexpensive and fast, one is expensive and will take a long time.

Humusluvr

Yes, but I figured since I'm under the old CSU GE cert. plan that the current requirement shouldn't effect me. I guess transferring changes that.
Had you asked your advisor about this? How did you think this was a legal question?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">