• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter having problems!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lacrow

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hey, My daughter is in the 8th grade and is having troubles with the students at school. They make funof her because she has acne(which is being treatedby a doctor) and because she doesnt smoke drink or have sex like the other kids are doing. They call her a lesbian because she isnt interested in sex. Anyway. she comes home crying everyday and she crys every morning before going to school.

Her grades has always been good ( A's and B's) but now her grades are falling to D's. She went to talk to the school counseler and was told to "suck it up".

I realize that she does need to toughen up a little but a child shouldnt be harrassed just because she doesnt do drugs, drink or have sex.

Luckily we have a very close relationship and she talks to me about these things. She even told me she had thought about having sex just so the kids wouldnt make fun of her anymore.

I am planning on having her hime schooled next year but there arent any openings till then.
My question is.... Is there any way I can legally take her out of school for the rest of the year until I can get her in home schooling?

Oh and I have tried to get them to let her go to a different school but the school board said no.

C

CCPENNOCK

If your daughter is being harrassed and or threatened at school I would suggest you document each incident then you go talk to the principal. If you get no help then the next step is for you to go to your school board. Remeber the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You need to take a stand for your child. CCP

HomeGuru

lacrow said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hey, My daughter is in the 8th grade and is having troubles with the students at school. They make funof her because she has acne(which is being treatedby a doctor) and because she doesnt smoke drink or have sex like the other kids are doing. They call her a lesbian because she isnt interested in sex. Anyway. she comes home crying everyday and she crys every morning before going to school.

Her grades has always been good ( A's and B's) but now her grades are falling to D's. She went to talk to the school counseler and was told to "suck it up".

I realize that she does need to toughen up a little but a child shouldnt be harrassed just because she doesnt do drugs, drink or have sex.

Luckily we have a very close relationship and she talks to me about these things. She even told me she had thought about having sex just so the kids wouldnt make fun of her anymore.

I am planning on having her hime schooled next year but there arent any openings till then.
My question is.... Is there any way I can legally take her out of school for the rest of the year until I can get her in home schooling?

Oh and I have tried to get them to let her go to a different school but the school board said no.
**A: are you able to put her into a Christian private school?

L

lacrow

We live in a small town and the only Christian private school around isn't taking any more students.

Also we have talked to the principle and all he says is "Those actions will not be allowed in my school" but then he doesnt discipline the other students involved other than to tell them not to do it again.

I have an appointment to talk with the school board tomorrow afternoon. :eek:)

Any other suggestions will also be apprieciated!!

dequeendistress

Take a written, signed complaint with you to the school board and put it in their lap.

Document each occurance of behavior which violates the schools displine policy, including names, dates, and times and to whom you report the occurance.

Be sure to request a copy of the schools policy on student behavior if you do not already have one.

You are not going to be able to take your daughter out of school legally unless she is enrolled in another school or schooling program...even with the extenuating circumstances you described.

footnote: Since the school board said no to a transfer, you have already presented this, correct? What was the reason a transfer was denied?

Last edited:
L

lacrow

Thank you to all that replied!!

I will take your suggestions to heart.
I am very proud of my daughter and she has great plans for her future. I wont let something like this bring her down

THANKS!!

gypsierose

you should homeschool

wisconsin....
i have to tell you that i had almost the same problem with the school system up here.... I am currently Home Schooling both of my kids... one is 13 and one is 15 .. i dont know the laws were you are; but for me here in wisconsin i pulled both of my children out of the public schools in the middle of a semester. i couldnt handle seeing my daughter go from getting A's and B's to getting D's and F's. the school board didnt care, so i decided that instead of watching my kids's education go down the drain and watching my daughters self esteem go threw the floor, i would home school them first , alls i did was write to the board of education in Madison (the state capitol) and requested permission to home school. within 3 days i was able to home school both of my kids. and I have to tell you it was the best decision i have ever made... I am closer to my kids then ever, they dont do drugs there not in gangs and they dont drink or smoke, they both have a ton of freinds here in the nieghbohood and i have never seen either of them so happy. I hope you do get to home school your daughter, you will see the smile come back into her face and in her eyes. and the bonus... you get to teach them everything!!!
good luck!!!!

R

responder

You may want to address the issue individually with each of the teachers she will have next year. Most teachers are compassionate understanding people. If they handle it correctly they can help your daughter. You can even request if you can go talk to her class. The school should be teaching kids about differences which should help with the problem-maybe there not doing that. Be proactive and do your research. Ask the board to implement programs like Tribes or Don't Laugh At Me. Present your case in a way you want to help the entire school. Avoid grouping or labeling kids like you did in your post, "they are all having sex." I doubt all of them are, maybe a lot-and one is too many.

If this avenue does not work consider a charter school if Alabama has one. You may have to obtain an attorney. Document everything. Every conversation you have with school personnel, and keep all written documentation. Secure a copy of the school policies and write a letter addressing your issues and how they are not being followed in regards to your daughter. If you know the parents of the kids teasing your daughter address them too.

Children can be very cruel to each other. But if given the right direction they can also be very caring and compassionate.

Best of luck

--Arizona teacher.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">