• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did my school do something legally wrong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hcv91

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
At the end of October 2011 I left my college on psychiatric medical leave. Under those conditions I renounced credit from the semester so far in order to receive a tuition refund. Unfortunately, I found that in my senior year, I was awarded no gift aid in the Spring semester. The school is very expensive, and the amount of aid I receive per year is substantial (upwards of $40,000/year). As of now my father is dissolving the entire contents of his 401K to pay those extra $20,000, since my parents are unable to pay for any percentage of my tuition. Otherwise I'd be forced into leaving the college with no degree but 7 semesters of credit. For the record, I've been a very good student despite my mental health, and expect to graduate with a 3.4 GPA.

A college financial aid officer told me that the college awards gift aid based on attempted credits, although there is no mention of this in the student handbook or SLC website, or any other material available to students, although these people have insisted it is and always has been available. When I left college, my life was endangered by my illness. I had no choice but to leave, or risk jeopardizing my physical presence on Earth.

While I understand that the gift aid policy is in place for a reason, it ignore the needs of ill and disabled students. I question the legality of this decision, particularly as, since I noted before, this policy was NOT, in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, made known to me at the time I matriculated in 2009, or the time I was forced to leave in 2011. Neither I nor my father (the parent involved with the financial side of things) have any paper or email records of that info, although again the school insists I'm incorrect.

The unfairness of this act is unquestionable. The legality of it is tenuous; while I have yet to find information within the ADA-Title III specifically regarding gift aid, the structure of the law suggests the college's actions are on shaky legal ground. Further, at an institution which excuses its high cost on the basis of its ability to help individual students, the treatment I've received so far is perplexing.

OHRoadwarrior

What is unfair about having criteria for a gift? Why do you feel it is legally tenuous? Is that an opinion or do you have some formal contract? What is to stop you from obtaining financial aid, getting a job or transferring to a cheaper school?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
At the end of October 2011 I left my college on psychiatric medical leave. Under those conditions I renounced credit from the semester so far in order to receive a tuition refund. Unfortunately, I found that in my senior year, I was awarded no gift aid in the Spring semester. The school is very expensive, and the amount of aid I receive per year is substantial (upwards of $40,000/year). As of now my father is dissolving the entire contents of his 401K to pay those extra $20,000, since my parents are unable to pay for any percentage of my tuition. Otherwise I'd be forced into leaving the college with no degree but 7 semesters of credit. For the record, I've been a very good student despite my mental health, and expect to graduate with a 3.4 GPA.

A college financial aid officer told me that the college awards gift aid based on attempted credits, although there is no mention of this in the student handbook or SLC website, or any other material available to students, although these people have insisted it is and always has been available. When I left college, my life was endangered by my illness. I had no choice but to leave, or risk jeopardizing my physical presence on Earth.

While I understand that the gift aid policy is in place for a reason, it ignore the needs of ill and disabled students. I question the legality of this decision, particularly as, since I noted before, this policy was NOT, in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, made known to me at the time I matriculated in 2009, or the time I was forced to leave in 2011. Neither I nor my father (the parent involved with the financial side of things) have any paper or email records of that info, although again the school insists I'm incorrect.

The unfairness of this act is unquestionable. The legality of it is tenuous; while I have yet to find information within the ADA-Title III specifically regarding gift aid, the structure of the law suggests the college's actions are on shaky legal ground. Further, at an institution which excuses its high cost on the basis of its ability to help individual students, the treatment I've received so far is perplexing.
Majored in English? Drama? What?

I'm a curious person, I suppose.

hcv91

What is unfair about having criteria for a gift? Why do you feel it is legally tenuous? Is that an opinion or do you have some formal contract? What is to stop you from obtaining financial aid, getting a job or transferring to a cheaper school?
Hello there,

Their gift aid is not simply private aid from the school. It includes federal funding. "Gift aid" implies it is not a loan. I feel it is legally tenuous because the school has no provision for the aid of ill or disabled students who must leave mid-semester. If I had somehow managed to put my illness on hold until semester break, none of this would have happened. Since the amount of aid provided to me is $38,000, there is no way I could simply find funding in the form of scholarships, which average less than $1,000, unless I could earn dozens of them. My loan debt is already very high, and financial restrictions prevent my parents and I from taking out further loans (as in, we can't according to the bank--not that we simply won't.) Unless I get a job as a very very fancy prostitute or suddenly get a windfall as an investment banker, getting a job won't clear the needed aid. The reason I cannot transfer to a cheaper school is that, as a college senior, other institutions will not accept all the credits I have earned so far. I would have to apply, return as a junior, and complete 2 full additional years of school, after spending a year applying and waiting for the decision. BTW, it is a liberal arts school that does not use majors and I graduate with a liberal arts B.A., although I am working on a senior thesis in the combined fields of history and literature. Not a financially promising field, I know.

Silverplum

Hello there,

Their gift aid is not simply private aid from the school. It includes federal funding. "Gift aid" implies it is not a loan. I feel it is legally tenuous because the school has no provision for the aid of ill or disabled students who must leave mid-semester. If I had somehow managed to put my illness on hold until semester break, none of this would have happened. Since the amount of aid provided to me is $38,000, there is no way I could simply find funding in the form of scholarships, which average less than $1,000, unless I could earn dozens of them. My loan debt is already very high, and financial restrictions prevent my parents and I from taking out further loans (as in, we can't according to the bank--not that we simply won't.) Unless I get a job as a very very fancy prostitute or suddenly get a windfall as an investment banker, getting a job won't clear the needed aid. The reason I cannot transfer to a cheaper school is that, as a college senior, other institutions will not accept all the credits I have earned so far. I would have to apply, return as a junior, and complete 2 full additional years of school, after spending a year applying and waiting for the decision. BTW, it is a liberal arts school that does not use majors and I graduate with a liberal arts B.A., although I am working on a senior thesis in the combined fields of history and literature. Not a financially promising field, I know.
I don't agree with your feelings.

Others smarter than I will respond: perhaps someone will agree with you.

CJane

You left mid-semester, forfeited your financial aid (grants/etc), and you're upset and feel like this is an ADA issue because you had a breakdown?

Put simply, you're wrong.

hickeymatthew78

You need to ask the admissions counselor about the school’s policy for, I remember when I college days I decide to stop my schooling at the time of first semester. but my prof he encourage me to continue and if my final decision is to stop I have a problem, I need to pay the whole semester.

OHRoadwarrior

Policy for what? The Federal Gov't does not absolve them of the educational bill for your schooling just because you leave mid semester. Therefore the Federal Gov't takes back the money given on your behalf so you owe it. You can certainly whine to your senator that every person that can in any way remotely claim an illness or disability should get a free ride, however I would bet it falls on deaf ears. Lines are drawn in reasonable places. If you are not medically stable enough to survive 16 weeks, take the semester off. Further, if anything is wrong with your situation it is that they wasted valuable educational money that could be directed toward someone who actually has the chance at a real job from it.

Last edited:

Dave1952

So you have no money for the Spring semester, which is already under way. Have you spoken to your adviser or maybe your dean about taking a leave of absence and about financial aid for next year, so you can finish your degree? Have you found a job for the interim? Can you work on your thesis on the weekends?
I see nothing illegal about the way that you are being treated. Put the breakdown and it's consequences behind you and get on with your life.

bondspcsbail

Yes, it is the right way...U just transferring to a cheaper school.. U can't able to fight them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">