• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability documentation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyboynm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

I have a disability that is recognized under the ADA. My school wants a letter from medical personnel asking for the diagnosis of my disability, a list of accommodations that should be made and explaining how these accommodations would be beneficial to me. I do not have this letter and am having difficulty getting one because I am currently out of the country. I have provided to the school a copy of a letter sent from a hospital in the Netherlands that treated me as in-patient for this issue - it documents the medical condition, what brought it about, etc and how long I was seen. I also have provided a copy of an "Attending Physician's Statement of Disability" which documents my disability and how it impacts me. Finally, I provided a copy of a previous education institution's accommodation form outlining the accommodations that should be made for me. The school has came back to me saying that this is not sufficient.

It is my understanding that what the school is asking for is a bit overboard. It is reasonable and appropriate for a school to request documentation to establish the validity of the request for accommodations, and to help identify what accommodations are required. Shouldn't the school be the ones to help you identify what accommodations are available instead of just saying "get your Dr to write a letter listing your disability, accommodations to be made and justify them"? How do you know what to ask for if the school will not give you a list of what is available? Isn't it against the ADA to do something like this?

tranquility

If you want things settled before your return, following the guidelines as expressed by your school will smooth the process. (I assume we're talking about college here, right?) I believe the jargon is reasonable and appropriate for a school to determine the validity of the request and to help identify the accommodations required. Each college may have different requirements. All require current documentation although some disabilities that do not change over time can be more dated. One example I've seen involved ADHD and dyslexia. A person with dyslexia may need similar accommodations from year to year and a list of your previous year's accommodations may suffice. ADHD? Probably not as it is a disability that may change substantially over time. Only if the school makes the requirements so burdensome they prevent qualified individuals from getting needed accommodations would the school requirements be a problem. If they're posted somewhere or provided to you in the same way as to all who ask, that will be a hard case to make.

Besides, in reality, what is your goal? If you think they are not following the law do you think it would be easier to get the documentation they demand or start using legal process to force them to agree with you?

Dave1952

Why is it difficult to see a physician in the Netherlands or call your US doctor's office to get this letter? This will be much quicker and cheaper than trying to raise legal issues

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">