• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The discipline thing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlyleII

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ark

Sorry, starting another thread, this is probably not really law anymore, just wanted to respond to these comments.

cbg:
No. There is really nothing you can do about the situation you put yourself in.

It is not now, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be, your choice as to how any given authority disciplines you. Not your parents, not the school, not your employer(s), not the law. It's not SUPPOSED to be convenient for you. The whole POINT of discipline is to be uncomfortable or inconvenient.
My parents retracted their paper, I put a new one in its place, now I can choose to take the licks tmrw. whoopty freakin do (see people, if you don't fight for the things you don't actually want in life, you'll never get them). They did it because they thought the consequences of the alternatives were excessive for what I did, and the principal didn't have any other compromises (which is completely his decision to make - the choice I didn't have was picking a few days afterschool detention - it wasn't all completely up to me - and yeh, it shouldn't be)

So, I gotta say, i don't agree that the world is as authoritarian black & white as you say it is. And it shouldn't be. (and I've had discussions with my parents about discipline before that changed how things went). I can see how the law is the most rigid out of all you said. But with parents, school, employers isn't it more important that the authority is still the authority at the end of the day? (than that they have some black & white 'do as i say' set up?) You don't think someone gets more out of being involved in a discipline process? (yeh, I had some choice here, but I can already tell you i'm thinkin smarter about goin to class just from the discussions I've had)

And the point of discipline is actually to teach (so seems flexibility/discussion is more important with that). The point of punishment is to be uncomfortable or inconvenient. (so yeh, technically I choose punishment here, but I can also figure out the lesson myself)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ark

Sorry, starting another thread, this is probably not really law anymore, just wanted to respond to these comments.

cbg:

My parents retracted their paper, I put a new one in its place, now I can choose to take the licks tmrw. whoopty freakin do (see people, if you don't fight for the things you don't actually want in life, you'll never get them). They did it because they thought the consequences of the alternatives were excessive for what I did, and the principal didn't have any other compromises (which is completely his decision to make - the choice I didn't have was picking a few days afterschool detention - it wasn't all completely up to me - and yeh, it shouldn't be)

So, I gotta say, i don't agree that the world is as authoritarian black & white as you say it is. And it shouldn't be. (and I've had discussions with my parents about discipline before that changed how things went). I can see how the law is the most rigid out of all you said. But with parents, school, employers isn't it more important that the authority is still the authority at the end of the day? (than that they have some black & white 'do as i say' set up?) You don't think someone gets more out of being involved in a discipline process? (yeh, I had some choice here, but I can already tell you i'm thinkin smarter about goin to class just from the discussions I've had)

And the point of discipline is actually to teach (so seems flexibility/discussion is more important with that). The point of punishment is to be uncomfortable or inconvenient. (so yeh, technically I choose punishment here, but I can also figure out the lesson myself)
You cannot FORCE the principal to whip you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You cannot force the principal to whip you. It doesn't make a bit of difference what your parents did; it is STILL 100% the choice of the school whether to whip you or not.

IT IS NOT YOUR CHOICE.

IT IS NOT YOUR PARENTS' CHOICE.

IT IS THE SCHOOL'S CHOICE.

The fact that they MAY does not mean they MUST.

CarlyleII

hahaha wow

ok, well, whateva y'all say, I know I said "now I can choose", what I mean is "I have chosen".

it is STILL 100% the choice of the school whether to whip you or not.

The fact that they MAY does not mean they MUST.
Ok, granted, the final choice sits with them.

I never heard of anyone showing up and getting told "actually, you have to do Saturday school".

So even tho they don't HAVE to. I suspect they WILL.

No-one forcing anything anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">