• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissal for Inappropriate Conduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrbarrett82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

On 6/26, I received an email from Kaplan University; subject "Inappropriate Conduct, Formal Warning". This email stated that I had violated their Code of Conduct by posting "pertinent information regarding several of Kaplan University’s courses on the internet". There was no information on where they found these documents. I immediately replied to this email requesting additional information such as where this information was posted. After two days they replied with three websites. Two of the three sites were sites that I had shared papers that I had written which is my property, not theirs. I contacted all three websites requesting that they remove these documents in which they complied. This warning email clearly stated that future infractions could result in immediate dismissal.

On 7/5, I received an email from Kaplan University; subject "Dismissal for Inappropriate Conduct". This email stated that I had committed copyright infringement on 6/29. I thought it was interesting that they were accusing me of copyright infringement three days after sending me a warning of posting their information on the Internet.

I immediately contacted the academic dean and she stated she had called and left me a voicemail on 7/2 regarding this matter. I checked my voicemail and call logs and have no calls from Kaplan or unknown numbers. She is now stating that the matter is up to the School, which is their national entity. I have copied them on all my emails and have yet to hear back. I have since sent a letter to the Iowa Student Aide Commission, Kaplan University and the Iowa Department of Education.

I have been a student at Kaplan for over a year and am now losing all the money I had to pay for these classes. I believe I deserve to see proof of how I committed copyright infringement. I was given little to no notification to correct my actions. This is wrong that Kaplan can just drop me like this and take my money.

Can they just drop me without any proof and without giving me any chance to defend myself? This seems wrong and illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">