• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have the right to study at a high school in New York for a year?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klk1996

I am a U.S. citizen but have never lived in the U.S. I would like to study at a public high school in Scarsdale, New York and live with my grandparents there, whom I usually visit yearly. I would not be graduating that school. The school board has told me my parents would need to give up guardianship of me and transfer it to my grandparents in order to do this. Is there any other way? Other school districts around me don't take out-of-district students.

sandyclaus

I am a U.S. citizen but have never lived in the U.S. I would like to study at a public high school in Scarsdale, New York and live with my grandparents there, whom I usually visit yearly. I would not be graduating that school. The school board has told me my parents would need to give up guardianship of me and transfer it to my grandparents in order to do this. Is there any other way? Other school districts around me don't take out-of-district students.
It sounds to me like they are keeping a residency requirement, and with you living out of district, they aren't willing to accept you to the school. By signing over guardianship to your grandparents, your residency would be transferred to their home in the district. It also provides legal support to your grandparents in the event that something happens to you while you are there.

What do your parents think of the idea? Do they support it?

klk1996

It sounds to me like they are keeping a residency requirement, and with you living out of district, they aren't willing to accept you to the school. By signing over guardianship to your grandparents, your residency would be transferred to their home in the district. It also provides legal support to your grandparents in the event that something happens to you while you are there.

What do your parents think of the idea? Do they support it?
My parents support my living there, but not signing over their guardianship. I was hoping I would count as a resident just living there for a year.

sandyclaus

My parents support my living there, but not signing over their guardianship. I was hoping I would count as a resident just living there for a year.
Physically, sure. But the school district is probably concerned about what happens if something BAD happens. If your parents are too far away, who gets to make decisions for you in an emergency? They would be very justified in that concern - and that's coming from a parent here. Guardianship gives your grandparents the legal right to make decisions on your behalf for the time you live with them.

Perhaps the school is not budging on the guardianship issue solely to make you and your parents prove your good intentions while enforcing their policy of not enrolling out-of-district students. While you are still legally under the care of your parents, you have THEIR address, which is outside your district. Guardianship also gives you the grandparent's address for legal purposes while you are living there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">